Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Suggestions Please!  (Read 1976 times)

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
Suggestions Please!
« on: 26 May 2004, 22:35:27 »
Hi guys,

I have just managed to get into the World Editing phase of OFP thanks to a good friend of mine, MadAussie :)

I was wondering if any of you guys had some suggestions / hints / tips / tutorials .. in other words anything that you may think will help me..

Maybe some things that you personally have done yourself and founsd useful?

Sorry if this is wrong place for this kind of question. Please delete if inappropriate!
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

Leone

Re:Suggestions Please!
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2004, 04:33:01 »
1. Think about the sort of island/terrain you would like to play on. Why would you download an island?

2. Go take a walk around the sort of terrain you are making, or if that's not possible, search the net for photos.....and observe closely. Where do trees grow, where does grass grow, where do loose rocks appear, how does water carve the earth, etc etc.

Probably the two best pieces of advice I have  :)

Kaliyuga

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2004, 08:55:37 »
my number one piece of advice after completing  an island and now working on my second is to find some DEM data to start off with...

i found some for my current map  and wow... its the most realistic terrain i've seen in ofp hands down.

even if you can't find the exact terrain you want to make , chances are you can find some other part of the world where the topography is fairly similar

Also.. as a personal preference.. i like to skip around alot to different parts of the island to break up the monotony of placing objects..

like work on the airfield for a while.. then a town... then a base.. etc..

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2004, 11:54:26 »
Hi guys :)

Thanks for the suggestions.. Its all appreciated :)

@Leone

Thats a good piont dude, i only download the islands if i like the terrain and i want to play with it ;)

Go take a walk around the sort of terrain you are making

Im Welsh... All we have is damn hills :D and of course sheep and rain ;)

@kaliyuga

DEM maps hey? i havent been ableto find a decent site that hosts these gems and ive searched high and low for them.. what ur isladn terrian like? Where u get Digi El Maps from ???

I have the program called MICRODEM but no idea how to use it in conjunction with DEM maps and OFP  :'(

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Regards Rhys

Homefry31464

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2004, 20:14:41 »
Where are you thinking about, location wise?

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2004, 20:23:09 »
Hi,

Well anything will be a start :) Not to mountainous though ;)

Rhys

Kaliyuga

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2004, 21:14:53 »
 I made a tutorial a while back to show how to get DEM data into Wrp format:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=13641

managed to accidentally delete the pics that went with it off of my webspace.   d'oh  :P

But i'm pretty sure I still have them on my PC somewhere if needed.

I got my DEM data from http://www.mapmart.com/dem.htm and I used some terrain from the southern US that is more like rolling hills and valleys.

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2004, 13:54:38 »
Homefry:

Any location will do .. something with not to  many mountains and maybe a 2 or 3 town areas :)

Kali:

Thanks for the site and link to your tut.. The download link for the DEMs doesnt work for me  :'(

Like this one : http://www.mapmart.com/scripts/hsrun.exe/Single/MapMart_New/MapXtreme.htx;start=HS_Handler - the right hand downlaod link doesnt work :(

Rhys

http://www.mapmart.com/scripts/hsrun.exe/Single/MapMart_New/MapXtreme.htx;start=HS_Handler - doesnt work either
« Last Edit: 28 May 2004, 13:59:25 by rhysduk »