Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Runway texture query....  (Read 2006 times)

Buggs

Runway texture query....
« on: 16 Mar 2004, 20:16:26 »
Im in the middle of giving an old Island (Sarugao) a resistance style overhaul. The only problem that i have come accross is that the runway layout (Everon textures) are a lot better than the Res ones (Nogova). So my question is, How hard would it be to take the everon runway texture and add the the resistance grass texture (either the b1 or t1 texture) as the backing.

Any info gratefully received, Buggs

Leone

Re:Runway texture query....
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2004, 05:24:33 »
Not hard at all. Just convert them into tga files (or jpgs if you prefer...I personally don't), do some mask/copy/paste work in Photoshop (or program of your choice) and turn them into paa files. Easy!  ;) ;D

Buggs

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2004, 09:24:01 »
Many thanks Leone, Ill give it a go.

Buggs

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2004, 12:36:46 »
sorry to be a pain in the ass, but i can't even find a paa to tga converter let alone transfer the everon runway textures.

I've tried various OFP forums for links. and i've also tried google, which gave me lots of links for tga converters but none of them handle paa files!!. Any links/ideas please.

Regards, Buggs

Leone

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2004, 14:08:39 »
The official BIS tool called TexView!  :P From the Breathe site or probably here as well  ;D

I really like Sarugao so it's not a pain in the ass at all  :D

Buggs

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2004, 17:50:57 »
Thanks again. I've tried copying/pasting the everon runway texture to the b1 res grass texture but the runway section is too small when pasted on to the res texture. Im prosuming this is because of the size of the textures (everon 128, res 512).
And i would imagine there is now way around this?.

Anyway i have been experimenting with the res airport textures. the main runway for nogava (the one with the taxiway) has a desert backround. so im going to change these to grass textures (just the taxiway). Not quite as good as the everon one but it will have to do.

Thanks again, Buggs ;)

Leone

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2004, 05:06:18 »
Well I do have a lot of Runway textures (they were modified for Tonal/Tonali). If you wanted to use them I'm sure we could come to some arrangement.  ;D

Buggs

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2004, 20:07:08 »
Wow, i didn't realise you were responsible for those........very impressive!!. If you have any thing that would be suitable for this island i would be very grateful.  The runway runs from south to north with the taxiway on the right hand side( facing). I can always send you the island if you want to check it out, However it isn't any different to the original apart from the retexturing etc.

Cheers, Buggs

Ps What's this arrangement you speak of......... 8)

Leone

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2004, 05:46:22 »
Well me sending them to you would be the arrangement  :P You would probably have to edit them to suit the land texture you are using (mask/copy/paste etc), but that's not a huge issue. The main issue is the texture pack comes to 44mb, so either I can upload it somewhere for you or send you a CD. Of course a desert version of Sarugao might be interesing...  ;D

Buggs

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2004, 19:05:33 »
Hi Leone, Thanks for the offer of the textures. Unfortunately i think i might be pushing my luck with the size of the textures (44 meg).  so im going to after turn down your kind offer.

With the island now weighting in at 10 meg (the original size was about 2 meg) i think if i make it any bigger i will probably put off at lot of people from downloading it. in fact ill probably get a lot of flack for adding on 8 meg let alone 50 plus.

Don't misunderstand me i don't have any qualms about downloading islands/mods no matter what there size is (im on broadband). However for some people on 56k anything over 15 meg is Hard work. So thanks again for your offer and thanks for answering all my Questions

cheers, Buggs  :'( :-\ :( :) :D ;D

Leone

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2004, 04:34:38 »
Errr...what I mean is that I have 44mb worth of runway textures. What I am suggesting is that you copy the ones you need, edit them to suit your island and put them in your own pbo. Shouldn't be more than 3mb unzipped. I certainly don't want my pbo distributed....

Buggs

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2004, 09:37:51 »
Sorry about that. Check your pm

Buggs :-[

Leone

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2004, 16:02:53 »
Hehe np m8  ;D

Offline jeffs

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: 07 Apr 2004, 21:26:25 »
I'll throw my two cents in...  It's really easier to make a completely new texture for runways than to change them.  (Changing is easy as well... but new are easier).  Just overlay the concrete texute you want to use over the grass/dirt/sand texture you are using... add your centerline, and iff you are feeling crazy place so skid marks....

Buggs

« Reply #14 on: 07 Apr 2004, 22:19:10 »
many thanks jeffs. Any help/info is always welcome.....cheers ;)