Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Gamelogic vs Waypoints again....  (Read 949 times)

-Omega-

Gamelogic vs Waypoints again....
« on: 03 Oct 2003, 06:38:02 »
I just read that thread by Seal about Triggers and Gamelogic vs Waypoints, and it got me curious about my own map building techniques...

I learned to use the editor when I first got into the game about a year and a half ago through brute force... Just hammering at it for weeks at a time until I understood what I needed to make quality missions. Because of that, I never even got into gamelogic what-so-ever... I don't even know what gamelogic DOES, in all honesty...

Whenever I made a co-op mission, I always assigned the payable group waypoints, not so the players could see where they were going or anything (that's what I feel the briefing and objectives are for) but so if the officer were left on AI, he would actually lead the squad to the objectives and issue commands to the group to get them through the mission (like playing the campaign with an officer over you). I absolutely hated when AI group leaders did nothing inside of maps but sit idly... It always added something to a map when your group leader issued orders and commands to keep you alive, even if it was AI...

So... is there an easier/better/more efficient way to do all of that using gamelogic and triggers?

Or is there no easy explanation and I should just go read a tutorial on it rather than asking you all?   ::)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Gamelogic vs Waypoints again....
« Reply #1 on: 03 Oct 2003, 11:37:00 »
No.

Waypoints are the best way to do it.    You can do it with GLs and triggers and in certain circumstances - if have a formation of choppers for example - it is better, but as a general rule stick to waypoints.

Gamelogics are very powerful.    I'm not sure if there is a tute, but there have been a couple of excellent threads - use the forum search function.   There was a particularly good piece by Sefe.    It may be in the FAQ.

And I quite agree about waypoints in MP.   I don't play MP much bit it drives me nuts when an AI group is just standing there, particularly if you're in it.     Lazy, bad game design is that.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play