Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Wilbur  (Read 3336 times)

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

Wilbur
« on: 03 May 2003, 05:08:46 »
Is there any good tutorials from starting with wilbur to finishing the mission in wrp edit?

Kaliyuga

Re:Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2003, 07:53:35 »

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2003, 10:13:04 »
dont really say anything bout wilbur now dont it?

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2003, 00:04:51 »
Were can I get a DEM of cuba?

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2003, 00:39:07 »
1) What do you need a DEM of Cuba for?

2) I haven't used DEM before...but I would guess there ain't any DEMs that big.

Garcia

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2003, 04:06:59 »
1) I'm wanting to make an island of a scaled down cuba

2) Do you mean there arent that small? I found plenty that was of the whole gulf of mexico region, but not of just cuba itself.

This is what I want a DEM of... or is there any way I can use this one that BN880 and Tavorish hunted down for me.

http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/mapmachine/index.html?id=362&size=large&left=-84.95&bottom=17.98&right=-74.13&top=25.03

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2003, 14:55:44 »
oooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo....so you can get that big DEMs.... :o

Hmm, maybe I should try to learn how to use DEMs...
Umm, got a link to were I can download that DEM program...had it once, but lost it :-\

Garcia

and...umm, if you got a picture of cuba, which shows height etc, you can get that picture into WRPEdit.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2003, 14:58:24 by Garcia »

Grenadier

« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2003, 20:52:08 »
The DEM's he is probably refering to are too large to get any detail from. They are probably those with data spacing every 1000m which would relate to only about 12x12 data points for his whole map. You could scale it down but it still wouldn't be very useful.

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2003, 00:24:32 »
Well, is there any way I can at least just load the outline of the island and import it to wilbur and I can do the mountains and stuff my self.

Grenadier

« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2003, 21:12:03 »
Of course that is possible. Planck did a rather nice island of a Marilyn Monroe image quite awhile back. He did it by converting the image "colors" to be associated to heights. There are a few programs here at OFPEC under World Editing under the Editors Depot for converting greyscale images, bmp's etc. Good Luck.

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2003, 02:03:52 »
How can I convert that picture I have there into grayscale?

Grenadier

« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2003, 04:49:49 »
I would take a print screen shot of the image and paste it as a new file in a program such as paint shop pro. Then I would crop out just the area around the island. Then clean upthe drawing by erasing the water and everything around the island. There is a one button command to then turn to greyscale. Make sure your canvas size is suitable for the program your going to use to converrt it to heightfields. Probably a 256x256 image and continue with WrpEdit from there.

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2003, 03:48:29 »
Here is what I have done so far to the image, look like what it should? I dont know how to delete the underwater stuff, so I was thinking I could just set the elevation or something. To leave in the smaller islands around cuba what will I have to do? I cant get this image as is to load into wrp edit. Is there any thing else I need to do to load a bitmap?

(this image is jpg but the original is bmp for size reasons)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2003, 04:37:02 »
What pixel size is your original image?

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2003, 06:21:14 »
its 256x256

I got the map loaded into wilbur. I just made a floor plan like thing w/ photoshop and then opened it in wilbur and made the map that way. So I have everything all set up to start putting objects into wrp edit. Thanks for all your help guys. :-*

Hit_Sqd_Maximus

« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2003, 02:27:04 »
Thanks for all the help you all.

How is this for the basic layout of the island. I still have wilbur running so any tips on were some terrain should go would be appreciated. The southeastern part of the island is pretty mountainous just like cuba in RL.

« Last Edit: 08 May 2003, 02:29:06 by Hit_Sqd_Maximus »