Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Texture mipmap problem  (Read 731 times)

Rubble_Maker

Texture mipmap problem
« on: 26 Apr 2003, 14:20:53 »
Hi

I'm trying to export .tga textures to .paa in TextView, and it appears that in OFP only the lowest-detail mipmap is displayed all the time (it looks all blurry and there're no details on the textue anymore). Interestingly, this does not happen with another texture that I have in .pac format.

Any ideas what this could be? Also I'd like to know what the difference between .paa and .pac textures is, and why most addon-makers use both textures.

Oh, and has anybody experience with mapping .tga or .jpg textures to a O2 model? I heard its possible and even gives better image quality, but Suma once said it increases lag.

thx in advance

Skaircro

Re:Texture mipmap problem
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2003, 15:45:19 »
What is the size of the texture you are using.
I had a similar problem till I realised the textures used were larger than what I had set in preferences.
Go into your OFP Preferences from start menu. Then select Advanced - Textures.
I think it is the Objects one you might have to change.
e.g If you are using a 1024x1024 texture and your preferences are only set to 512x512 or 256x256 they look crap in game.

With .paa files, you need to use .paa files when using alpha channels.
What the actual differences are between them, I'm still not sure.
I use .paa for files with alpha channels and .pac for files without, dont know if this is the best solution though.  ???

As far as tga and jpg textures go, I'm not sure.
I saw the thread on the official forums where Suma had some input.
I personally liked Colonel Klinks idea of using jpg for the first lod, then pac/paa for the rest, but I have had no experience here.

Hope some of this is helpfull!

Rubble_Maker

Re:Texture mipmap problem
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2003, 19:53:26 »
thx, that I didn't even think about. I have the texture sizes set to max in the preferences, but max. value is only 256x256. This is odd because the textures worked fine on my old graphics card (GF2MX); now I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and it looks all crap. Maybe OFP has probs recognizing the max texture resolution?

anyways I'm starting to think this problem is related to my Hardware, not to the textures :(