Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Iwo Jima  (Read 1385 times)

Grenadier

Iwo Jima
« on: 04 May 2003, 21:09:38 »
About 6 months ago I completed the time consuming task of converting a contour map of Iwo Jima into usable elevation data for OFP. I handed over that data to a modding group that now seems defunct. Nevertheless I have always intended this information to be made public eventually so that others may use the data not just in OFP but other games that may be out or come out in the future. The image of Iwo Jima was obtained from a website that had taken a map from WW2 and cleaned it up and produced it in a usable digital form. I then traced the contours and created the elevation data from this with a surveying software program. Pretty accurate I would think for gaming needs.

The following files are available now to the public -

Meatgrinder - elevation data in triple coordinates. If placing in wrpedit use the 3rd column for elevation only to import.

Island Image - reduced resolution of image used to great info. The original map that this one was made from dates back to before the taking of the island and was actually used to coordinate the battle. I once found a scanned copy of on the net at one time but I can't find it now. If I ever find it again I'll post a link. Just an interesting part of history I think.

Aerial

Planck's Road Map - with some editing this would be useful with roadtool program by Cupidmoon at the OFPEC site. Contact Planck at mcnicoll7@yahoo.com for any assistance.

For the OFP fans hopefully a group like WWIIEC or another will work on it. If not, the info is here for future mods/games/projects or whatever anyone would like to use it for and free to all.

I would also like to thank the previous mod group individuals who at least gave this task a shot.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Iwo Jima
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2003, 23:14:43 »
Hello Gren,

It is a shame that nothing more seems to be happening with the modding group in question.

DaCoroner and I will however continue to work on the island anyway.
DaCoroner has agreed to carry on texturing Iwo Jima at his own pace.

Once he has finished we can make a start on the roads and buildings,,,,,etc.

It may take a little time, but we will get there, hopefully.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Grenadier

Re:Iwo Jima
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2003, 16:25:22 »
Good to hear & Good Luck.