Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Radio Chat  (Read 499 times)

Offline ZeekLTK

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Radio Chat
« on: 14 Apr 2003, 04:16:38 »
I'm trying to make a mission where another squad of soldiers is helping you attack an enemy base from a different direction. Their leader is suppose to radio you when they get into position after fighting through the enemy woods. Well, I made it so that the group can get through the woods fairly easily, but the problem is that the leader sometimes gets killed, even though the majority of the team makes it to the point where they are suppose to radio me that they are ready to attack.

The trigger is set up for "West is Present" at their destination and it triggers this:

joe sideChat "This is Bravo Squad, we're in position, just give us the signal and we'll move in."

where joe is the name of the leader of the group. If the leader is alive when they make it to this point then it works, but if he gets killed then there is no radio message. So I'm just wondering what I can do to have the next leader of the group (the guy who takes over) use the radio when they get there. I have a trigger set up where HQ radios me and says that Bravo won't be joining me on the assault if they happen to all get killed, but I cannot figure out how to have it radio me that they are ready and in position if the leader dies but some of the squad makes it.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Radio Chat
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2003, 07:24:22 »
name your group by typing

grp1 = group this

into the leader unit's init field

then use

(leader grp1) sidechat "blah blah"

in your trigger  ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline ZeekLTK

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2003, 03:28:58 »
Is that exactally what I type? Or do I subsitute something in for (leader grp1)?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2003, 07:23:37 »
how about you try it out  ;)

(that's exactly what you type )  ;D

[edit]

ok so you can substitute the "blah blah" with "the text you really want to see"  ::)

[/edit]
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2003, 07:25:01 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2003, 13:25:23 »
ZeekLTK, let me give you a tip.    When somebody answers your question like this, just trying doing exactly what they said.    The chance of it working is better than 50-50.

If it doesn't work, which is pretty common, check the commands in the Command reference.    (You shouldn't use a command in your mission unless you understand it anyway.)     Play about with it a little:  try the words in a different order.  

It's pretty hard to remember the exact syntax for every command - I confess I'm particularly bad at it - and you can't look it up for every answer you post.  It's up to you, the questioner, to take the advice given and beat it into shape until it works.

It's pretty rare to see and answer that is flat wrong, and when it does happen somebody usually corrects it fairly soon.   However, it is common to see an answer that is essentially correct, but has one or two details wrong.    Those details are usually enough to make things not work, but since its your mission and your problem its your job to play with answer until it does work.

And never, ever post anything like "Is that exactally what I type?" without trying it first.  ;)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Flapje

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2003, 15:47:10 »
I got my own little comref in which I put everything I often want to use, so I can always look it up easily.

hint hint?

EDIT: for example I just added this ;D

unitname fire "weaponname"

prob is that this makes a man fire into the air!
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2003, 15:57:11 by Flapje »