Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: impact coordinate thingy for artilery  (Read 432 times)

Gilbert 21vb

impact coordinate thingy for artilery
« on: 14 Apr 2003, 17:25:20 »
I was wondering, is it possible to calculate the trajectory of a shell so you can fire balistic rounds beyond visible range?

I am thinking of a small "impact coordinate" in the corner of the scope when you're firing a PzH2000 or M109 or 2S9 or whatever those self propelled howizer is called.
This way, a person can, (perhaps with a Laser Aiming Device) determine a grid coordinate in wich the target is located, radio the coordinate (via text-chat or teamspeak) to a teammate in an artillery piece, and the teammate can aim after the 100x100 meter square and fire a round at the gridsquare...
It doesn't have to be dead accurate... just to within the gridsquare..

Just like real life artillery with a spotter...

Is this a possibility?
If one of you scripting geniuses can do this, please email me back.

Regards
- Gilbert
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2003, 17:30:46 by Gilbert 21vb »

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
Re:impact coordinate thingy for artilery
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2003, 17:36:24 »
There are several obstacles to being able to do this (3200-m range on most projectiles, 20-second TTL for shotshell, etc.).
The only one that is insurmountable is that you can't read the elevation/azimuth of the tube.
So what you'll have to be satisfied with is an AI-driven artillery asset with an organic script that alows it function in the way you state (indicate coordinates, tubes elevate and fire projectiles across the map).  For most cases anyway, off-map fire is good enough.
Dinger/Cfit