Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Mortar fire  (Read 677 times)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Mortar fire
« on: 13 Apr 2003, 16:02:45 »
ok, dont tell me to search... been there, done that - checked the editors depot...

what i need is mortar fire to land in a specific radius in a town, but not mortar fire that is called by the player - i need it as mortar fire to make the mission more fun :D

also, im looking for the mortar sound effects before each round is 'fired' - so the 'kaplunk' of the mortar and then the explosion.... if any1 could help me here.... i know who to do this with camcreate and gamelogics - but i need to many for that to be viable, and i want a cetain degree of random explosions in the given areas (the area of a placed trigger prehaps)

cheers, for any help. This, as you may have guessed, is for the PUKF missions... so your help will be credited  :)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Mortar fire
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2003, 16:43:08 »
Try this one. It creates mortarshells just above ground at one point, makes them go 'blop' (well, not really, I ripped GFX707's mortar2 addons sound  ::), could be better), flings them with setVelocity in an arch into the target area trailed with smoke.

Everything is adjustable, and with a lil trial and error easily adjusted. Only con is that 20 sec life rule for them shells, raise the velocity enough to reach a distant target and you wont get them shells on yer neck.
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2003, 17:28:24 »
cheers, will give it a go for sure... thanks

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2003, 17:40:10 »
holy crap.... that script rox - the sound isnt great, but its easy enuff to change if i find a better one... THANX  :D

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2003, 18:04:21 »
was wondering... you wouldnt happen to know how to modify this to add a 'woooof' (thanx jonno for accurate sound interpretaion) noise as the shell flies through the air?

guessin it would be hard to do, since with the change of set velocity, then the noise would have to be shorter every time... aaah well  ::)

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2003, 20:19:46 »
When you use the Say command the sound is cut off as soon as the object diess off. Simple as that thank God. The sound I found isn't the best, and I thought of adding various ones from which a random one is every time picked. But the tone and pitch varies, as the shell passes you.

That trajectory still isn't so fancy. The projectiles travel so low, only to reach as far as possible. I'll see if there is a better way of making them fly.
Also I'll try to edit the current firing sound... I once was able to do anything but now just get irritated at these poor sounds. And I'll add a place to define amount of mortars firing in the exec line.

Be back really soon...

PS. I found a crappy whisling sound... accurate interpretation is seen in the sound name... whiz.ogg  ::) God I hate these crappy ones.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2003, 20:27:41 by MI_Fred »
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2003, 20:34:52 »
yeah, the trajectory isnt great - some of the mortars hit trees on their way to my target - basically i have a chook dropping off para's - 1 teams makes its way to the target, while the second team 'sets up' the mortars - the distance is about 75-100m - and the flat trajectory isnt very accurate (unfortunatly) - is their a way to add a new variable - so u have velocity AND the trajectory?

great news about the adding of sounds... i tried to search for sounds, no luck  :-\

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2003, 22:41:39 »
I don't know about inputting the trajectory and velocity separately, now as they are relative to each other  ;D which makes the shell always gain enough height.

I had a bit of a struggle while converting the sounds to .ogg, but now that it's done, I think it is way better. Even the mortar launch is better imo.

Oki, have fun wit it  ;)

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2003, 00:37:21 »
great - thats awesome - deffinatly makes peeps duck when they hear those babys coming in  ;D

well, i think thats it... cheers matey, uve been a great help - i'll leave the thread open in case u make some new discovery  :)

Tubal

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2003, 02:40:10 »
I haven't checked the script or anything but... Couldn't you create the shells in the air closer to the target instead of by the mortars?

/Tubal

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2003, 17:45:18 »
That would really defeat the good idea of them being realistic. They are supposed to be close support/pain in teh ass. 1300 meters is fine by me when you think about that. And since they will say the mortar firing sound, if it would come up in the sky, u know how stewpid that is. And Then you'd have to calculate another trajectory all together...

It would be easy to create mortars at their peak of their flight path, but I can't imagine needing that in any mission, where the mortar fire is coming from further than 1300 meters. Check it out atleast before commenting  ;)

Version 0.9 will include an aiming script, so that the mortar sections aims at a target, moving or not. But that might take a longer moment to figure out on behalf of the velocity... don't happen to know how to calculate the needed velocity (for x y z while they are the same thus forming an arch) depending on the distance between mortars and their target?  ;D
Thought so...
* MI_Fred goes off to editors depot...