Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Multi Weapon Upgrade for OFP  (Read 5670 times)

Wires

Multi Weapon Upgrade for OFP
« on: 28 Feb 2003, 00:44:00 »
You heard right  ;D it's in development right now and early code has been sent to BIS so they can hopefully make a patch out of it.  ATM the AI is having trouble targeting multiple enemies at once but that will hopefully be fixed in the near future. Unfortunatly if BIS don't take this and run with it (as they most likely will not) the files required are around 100MB which means almost immpossible for 56kers  :'( but I'm sure many gaming mags would be interested in such a huge addition to OFP.

I am not making this, infact I have nothing to do with it I just thought that the OFPEC community should be aware. So fingers crossed people  ;)

Stalker

Re:Multi Weapon Upgrade for OFP
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2003, 13:21:19 »
I don't understand what does it actually do ?

DeLiltMon

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2003, 17:14:06 »
I'd download on my 56k it anyway!
Who is working on it BTW?

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2003, 20:55:09 »
hell yeah... i'd d/l it on my 56k!!! any fuckin day!!!

(if not i'd d/l it at college and burn it onto cd :P )

but in principal, i'd download 100's of MB IF it allowed multipule gunners

Baphomet

« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2003, 00:46:25 »
I don't get it... what does it do and why does BIS have to have anything to do with it?

Gummi

« Reply #5 on: 01 Mar 2003, 16:45:50 »
yeah, what the .... does it do?!

DeLiltMon

« Reply #6 on: 01 Mar 2003, 16:56:53 »
Well if it does what I think it does, then it allows more than one weapon to be used on a vehicle at once so as an example we could have a working machine gun for a tank commander or both door guns working on a heli.

Wires

« Reply #7 on: 02 Mar 2003, 00:46:05 »
That's exactly right DeLiltMon. Not only that but it would then be possible for that sweet version of the LRPV with a M2 on top, MAG58 on the front and the MAG58 on a tripod in the back  :wow: The guy working on this has just moved to the USA so once he has settled in, work will most likely continue on this project. This is the kind of thing people have been hoping for in OFP2 but it could be a reality for OFP relativly soon  :D

DeLiltMon

« Reply #8 on: 02 Mar 2003, 15:19:05 »
Mmmmmmmm 3 guns  8)

Mr_Shady

« Reply #9 on: 02 Mar 2003, 17:34:10 »
*splurge*

O. M. F. G.

That's all I have to say right now.

Offline Canukausiuka

• Members
  • Iuka hate clean!
« Reply #10 on: 04 Mar 2003, 01:19:39 »
Wow... if it works right, this will be one of the absolute best things to happen to the ofp community!  I do have a question though.  Is it a script, an addon, or a change to the source code?  As far as I knew it was an engine limitation that prevented multiple gunners.  My guess is fancy scripting, but if it's an actual change to the engine, that would be amazing!

Is there any way we can know anything more about this as it develops?  You've certainly caught my interest, but I haven't seen this brought up elsewhere, like the Flashpoint1985 forums.  Would be really nice to have an official BIS statement (rare as they are these days... makes me think something is in the works... and if it's this, then they can be quiet for a few more months, lol).

Anyways, great news, and I hope that this works.
(Former) I44 Coder / Scripter / Voice Actor

ntstlkr

« Reply #11 on: 04 Mar 2003, 02:11:50 »
Cheers All, 8)

Pretty damn interesting development, the possibilities are quite formidable if it is applied to all classes of vehicles.

Think of Capt Ryan (he does great work!) salivating over the thought of making a true B-17G with gunners in every position (all the WWII folks splooge over that one!!!) ;D

Hhhmm, does this mean you can build a Tornado, or A-6, or hell even the the whole slew of modern two seater aircraft with someone in the pilot's slot and an ACTUAL RIO or weapons system operator in the other (as opposed to the ttally useless cargo spectator they are now)?

Let's not forget about the Navy. Anyone willing to build the New Jersey (for all you Big Gun fanatics out there, 16 inch guns oughta do), or maybe the Ticonderoga and stage a HARPOON mission.

You know, maybe we ought to draw up a list (community wide) of the most desired changes/modification/patch to the game code type thing.

Like I know alot of guys would like to change straight wing aircraft to be able to have turrets (for that Predator), or rockets/missiles from wheeled vehicles (for a TOW Humvee). :D

Not that BIS would even listen, but maybe its worth a few minutes of our time to put it to them. ???

NSDQ!!!  

Offline Lt_Phoenix

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 04 Mar 2003, 18:04:40 »
That sounds like a great idea ntstlkr.

Maybe the best way to get peoples attention is to post this in a new thread and call it "OFP improvements" or something like that.

Where would be the best place to post it though?
In memory of Police Chief Inspector Arne Sigve Klungland 1950 - 2004
Killed in the line of duty 5. April 2004

Check out the new Norwegian Forces Studio's temporary site at: http://marsuitor.tripod.com/mmb/

ntstlkr

« Reply #13 on: 04 Mar 2003, 21:49:43 »
Cheers 'elTee,  ;)

Definitely in the  _addons area but should prob get the ball rolling by contacting one of the Admin types. Since Wires started this with his original posting re: the possibility of an "upgrade", he might be the one to approach.

I'll mull this over some before I hit him with the bum's rush. I wouldn't think that we are looking for a poll (we aren't doing a "most favorite"..), but eventually tabulating responses would be good.

Of course, there's bound to be the giant helping of bs that will be submitted by the immature to wade through. >:(

Still, it would be good to know some of the ideas out there twirling around in the heads of our more creative and addon proficient bretheren. :D

NSDQ!!!

Eviscerator

« Reply #14 on: 04 Mar 2003, 23:52:32 »
Hhhmm, does this mean you can build a Tornado, or A-6, or hell even the the whole slew of modern two seater aircraft with someone in the pilot's slot and an ACTUAL RIO or weapons system operator in the other (as opposed to the ttally useless cargo spectator they are now)?

Thats already possible, exactly the same implementation as with any other vehicle, just no turret for them.

ntstlkr

« Reply #15 on: 05 Mar 2003, 04:09:39 »
Cheers EV,

Haven't had a chance to fly any of the newer stuff, but thought that the rear seater were relegated to "cargo" role. Was really thinking of a RIO to handle all the offensive/defensive weapons systems on the aircraft (thought only the pilot could do that as of yet). If there is a way around that then jam on!

Although, with the turret function you can implement a PAVE PENNY or LANTIRN laser designator type affair.

NSDQ!!

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #16 on: 05 Mar 2003, 11:50:50 »
Sounds sweet ntstlkr, be sure to inform us of your progress...

It does stand true that there are many applications for this code improvement, and that if it were to be implemented, it would be a great leap forward in the game technology...

however, i don't think that you are going to get much support from BIS, as they are focussing their energies on VBS1, and ths new "undisclosed" release, that we will find out more about soon... :(

FW200

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2003, 15:54:06 »
Any updates???

Yahoo

« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar 2003, 16:00:20 »
Whats happening?

Wires

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2003, 00:36:52 »
Waiting for the programmer guys  ::)

Offline Canukausiuka

• Members
  • Iuka hate clean!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2003, 01:38:16 »
Thanks for replying... I was starting to think it was being forgotten about, which I find amazing, considering what a difference this would make in the game.  Actually, I'm suprised that this topic has stayed so quiet.

Anyways, please be sure to let us know if anything happens (or, if it works out that way, nothing happens).
(Former) I44 Coder / Scripter / Voice Actor

Mr_Shady

« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2003, 17:49:01 »
Any news?

Mav

« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2003, 17:57:12 »
great, cannae wait for this un...
with a bit of luck they'll add ctrl, shift and alt + F1, F2 etc to enable teh command of more than 12 soldiers!
(with the exception of alt + F4)

Mav
RSF LACcy pilot

tankieboy

« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2003, 12:10:16 »
Wow, wow and wow. This would be the best thing to happen to OFP since release. The possabilities are endless...

Denwad

« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2003, 13:01:59 »
bump

FW200

« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2003, 21:40:31 »
!!!BUMP!!!
Any updates??
This is important!!!

Baphomet

« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2003, 03:51:01 »
Mav... if you want to control more than 12 soldiers download the CoC mod. It's takes a bit to learn the ins and outs of it but you definitely can control more than 12 guys... many of them have you controlling more than 24 if you desired. Yes I mean by normal means too. You sort of switch command of squads temporarily. It's really great. I think you can download it in the editors depot.

FW200

« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2003, 14:31:44 »
This isnt about more than 12 people.. its about having more than 1 weapon on vehicles...

PFC_Mike

« Reply #28 on: 04 May 2003, 07:13:28 »
what is it exactly?

You're not being very specific.

Frosty

« Reply #29 on: 04 May 2003, 10:45:54 »
Wow, this sounds amazing.

PFC_Mike, this allows you to use more than one weapon similtanously on a vehicle, for example, on an M1 Abrams tank, the gunner could be firing the main cannon while the commander is working the pintle-mounted MG.
BTW this wasnt a joke, was it :-\ cos it wouldnt be very funny. Itd be kinda hard to get this to work.

They said they would never get a harrier to fly
- We've done it

They said there could never be any handguns
- We've done it

They said you could never land on a carrier
- We've done it

They said it is impossible to command more than 1 squad
- We've done it

Although I would like to be able to command 13 men, cos the USMC had 13-men squads in WW2

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #30 on: 05 May 2003, 06:13:16 »
looking at ofp.info sounds like there gonna have multiple gunners in ofp2  ;D
« Last Edit: 05 May 2003, 06:15:13 by registered_fugitiv »

Mr_Shady

« Reply #31 on: 05 May 2003, 18:40:30 »
I for one am to impatient/important ( ;D) to wait for OFP2. We want multiple gunners now!

Seriously, I really want to fly an MH47E straight over a load of enemy units with a both M134s blazing away at either side  :D
« Last Edit: 05 May 2003, 18:40:52 by Kooky »

Navy Captain

« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2003, 19:04:21 »
any news?..... I can't wait for this upgrade..... * ponders * Spec ops vehicles.... Like the ranger landrover with multiple weapons.... and gunners.... shweet!!!!

Vyper

« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2003, 23:07:07 »
Not to mention possible snipers from choppers.....maybe?

Vyper