Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Noisy Units  (Read 1603 times)

ThoTruck

Noisy Units
« on: 06 Feb 2003, 19:11:24 »
I've run into a few noisy units, for examble the BAS MH-47E which you can hear (tested so far) 10km away  :(, I've also got my hands on some tanks with the same problem.
Because of these problems I won't be using them in my own missions, which offcause is a damn shame since they're so damn good 8), 'cause the sence of reallity is lost, when you hear the chopper taking of on the other side of the island, or you hear the tanks comming 2 min. before they accually get there.
Is there a way to solve this problem - can I turn down the volume in the addon?

DeadMeatXM2

Re:Noisy Units
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2003, 20:21:09 »
This has been highlighted as an issue (with our MH-47E) and there is a way to turn it down - by editing the cpp. This however will mean that you get version errors between the original un-edited addon and your custom version. However, in real life the Chinook is a very noisy aircraft. They fly over my house on a regular basis, and I have visited RAF Chinook bases here in the UK, and 9 times out of 10 you can hear the aircraft before you see it...

The volume levels of this addon have been set to levels that we feel are accurate, and have been tested on both headphones and speakers... for this reason we [BAS] will not be making any alterations to the config.cpp for this particular aircraft.

DeLiltMon

« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2003, 20:28:38 »
Gotta agree with you there, they often fly over my folks house heading for the Brecon Beacons and they are awefull noisy, come to think of it when I went to Bovington Tank Museum for Tank Fest I could hear the tanks from a fair way away.

ThoTruck

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2003, 14:37:29 »
Allright...
Thx

Fiendish

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2003, 16:50:11 »
Tanks are noisy as H*ll... they use to drive by on a road 50 meters from my house, and man, the whole house shakes!!!

And it's very very loud, and the windows are vibrating... But it looks cool  ;)..
They pass here to get to their training area, from wich I later hear gunfire and explosions..
very clearly to, It makes me feel for playing ofp.

C598

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2003, 01:01:27 »
I know CH-47s are quite loud, as I live on the flight line to Barksdale AFB.

I don't think they are loud enough to be heard 12km(From one side of an island to the other). I would say that you should be able to hear an MH-47 at a distance of 5 to 6km, not 12km.

As for tanks, there not loud enough to be heard at 6km, maybe 1 and a half kilometers.

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2003, 11:12:51 »
Ofcourse you can hear things before you see them (except snails, snakes and butterflies :P) but its so noisy.. I tried to use it in a mission, but it just cant be done since its too noisy... it's supposed to be a surprise that it turns up..

supergruntsb78

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2003, 00:23:46 »
if you want it to be a suprise then you can always  camcreate a chopper or tank

this way they wont be heard untill you want to.

and dont ask me how to camcreate because I WOULDN"T KNOW ABOUT THAT  :-[  :'( :'( :'( ;)
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2003, 00:24:32 by supergruntsb78 »

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2003, 12:32:58 »
but its so noisy.. I tried to use it in a mission, but it just cant be done since its too noisy... it's supposed to be a surprise that it turns up..
Regarding noise levels... if you want to do a covert insertion use the MH-6...

The MH-47E is not used for covert insertions, simply because it is too loud, that is why the 160th SOAR still us the venerable H-6, as it is much more nimble, a lot quieter, and more suitable for covert operations.

The MH-47E is used mainly for large scale assults. See the 10th Mountain Div. using them in Afganistan, where 2 or 3 helo's went in at once to insert a numerically strong force of troops to perform cave-clearing operations. The '47 is also used for support roles such as vehicle transport (underslung jeeps/artillery and so on) and re-supply. Just because it is painted Radar-Absorbent Black, and is fitted with an array of sensors and weapons, does not mean that it is used for covert operations...
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2003, 12:34:56 by DeadMeatXM2 »

C598

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2003, 14:08:39 »
Thats not what he means, what he means is that you can hear it turning on the engine all the way across the(Any) island. Refer to my earlier post.