Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: I FINALLY got transparent textures in PhotoShop 6.01  (Read 991 times)

Pointman

OK i got it working.. here's how

1) Create New file
2) Set dimensions to a power of 2, 32 or bigger (32, 64, 128, 256 ...
3) Go to the "Channels" tab
4) Add a new channel: Alpha1 (it should come out black)

5) Now you create an opacity mask on the alpha channel:

- Select the alpha channel by clicking it.. the selection should be highlighted (blue) and the eye should pop up to the left.

- To create opacity on the texture.. White is Opaque, black is transparent.. gray is semi opaque. You will notice that any color you put in the alpha channel becomes a gray scale.

6) Select the RGB channel (the top one) - this will select it and the three Red, green, blue channels. and put the eye on them.

Now time to draw our texture....

7) Be sure to check if you have drawn in an opaque area by turning on the RGB eyes AND the Alpha1 eye.

save as targa (be sure alpha channel is checked) and 32 bits

texture done
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2003, 21:22:17 by Pointman »

mooncaine

Re:I FINALLY got transparent textures in PhotoShop 6.01
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2003, 00:23:59 »
An easy way to make alphas in Photoshop:

Make your imagery on a transparent background. Use as many layers as you like.

When you are ready to export, link all the layers merge them [CTRL-E].

You will have a single layer, with transparency, that holds all the stuff of all the other layers.

CTRL-click this layer in the Layers palette.

Go to the Selection menu and choose "Save Selection".

By default, your selection saves as "Alpha 1", the alpha channel you wanted.

DESELECT [CTRL-D]. This is important for the next, optional step.

I do this a lot for 3D models, and I find I also have to go to Channels, click the Alpha channel, and CTRL-I to invert it [changes blacks to whites and vice versa]. That's only becuase I forget which way it's supposed to be [black is transparent, or white?], so I want you to know how to invert the alpha, just in case. You must deselect before doing this, though.

Click back on your layer in the Layers palette, and save to 32-bit TGA, NO compression.

Hope this helps,

MoonCaine