Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Turrets on planes, do they work??  (Read 2087 times)

Skaircro

Turrets on planes, do they work??
« on: 17 Nov 2002, 19:11:51 »
Can anyone definetly confirm for me that turrets do not work on planes?
Is this another "gear cannot be raised on helicopters" type issue?

I did a search on the flashpoint1985 forums (and here), but I could not find a definite answer.

I tried to get one working myself recently but it doesnt want to.
I'm not sure if this was just due to inexperience at modeling though.
It did sorta work if I defined my plane as a helicopter instead of a plane.
Which makes me think it just is not possible, but I would like one of the more experienced aircraft models to confirm my thoughts.

Please help me!  :'(

Eviscerator

Re:Turrets on planes, do they work??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2002, 19:36:33 »
no, i dont think they do work, the best rule of thumb to go by is, if its not used in the original game, its something thats not possible, there are a few exceptions but this will work for most things, like BIS didnt need a gear on their helo's, they didnt need rockets on their wheeled vehicles, and they didnt need a turret for their planes

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2002, 22:32:59 »
It makes me wonder why BIS chose such a simplified, narrow scope of making models and units? It would be much more effeicient to simply give everything in the game all of the possible attributes, and simply eliminate those lines in the config where it wasn't necessary. ( IMHO, of course )
A more foward thinking approach would be to lease licenses of all the official editors and tools, to gamers for a nominal fee. The game should be about the mods that could be produced, and the ongoing profits produced by updating the basic tool packages. The game would be made up of several modules that function together. By buying additional packs you increase the scope and scale of the game enviroment.

My ideal "dream game" would be: A basic first person shooter, using tried and true graphic and physics engines. It would include editors for making new units, scenarios, and complex AI behaviors in mostly indoor settings.

For another $50 bucks you can buy another pack, a squad-based tactical simulation. ( Like OFP. ) included would be editors for making outdoor terrain and settings, and vehicles.

Yet another pack, would be like the Harpoon series, and would provide long range, theater-sized maps, and the ability to command multiple, large groups like airbases and carrier battlegroups. Editors would allow for placement of units in groups and creation of large, complex scenarios involving possibly hundreds of thousands if not millions of men and their associated platforms.
I'ts just a pipe dream...sigh.

Skaircro

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2002, 05:23:47 »
Thanks Eviscerator, I thought it would be something like that, but hoping that it wasnt.

Alternatively, does anyone know if it is possible just to have moving gunner optics (no turret)?
While I did sorta get the turret working as a helicopter, the optics wern't exactly working correctly. I'll try again and see what I can get happening without the turret, but I'm not feeling confident.

I agree Ferret, you think they would include these things in game even though they didnt see need for them at the time.
Surely it wouldn't have been too much more work, or made files much larger or anything like that.
I guess they had their reasons.  :-\

BUNTRO

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2002, 23:10:00 »
if they put turrets on a vehicle like the vulcan or the bmp, then why wouldn't it be possible to code it into an aircraft?  I see it as being possible.  I just may not have the coding ability at the moment to do such a hefty job.

Skaircro

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2003, 18:17:32 »
With standard modeling and configing it is not possible.
It has to do with the vehicle config classes.

For example, I put a turret on my plane model and in the config my plane class is as follows:

class CfgVehicles
{
   class All {};
   class AllVehicles: All {};
   class Air: AllVehicles {};
   class Plane: Air {};
   class myplane: Plane

The turret does not work but the plane works fine, but if I change it to this:

class CfgVehicles
{
   class All {};
   class AllVehicles: All {};
   class Air: AllVehicles {};
   class Helicopter: Air {};
   class myplane: Helicopter

The turret works perfectly... but my plane takes off vertically.

It really does work off the theory that Eviscerator mentioned earlier.

Its only with the recent updates/new commands, and with custom animations that models have been able to do things they previously couldn't do, like raising gear on helicopters.

DragoFire is trying to get a working turret on his A6 Intruder, (possibly using custom animations and scripting??) but he hasnt mentioned anything yet as to getting it working.

Bishop

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2003, 15:23:30 »
And when using the harrier-script? And then putting down the vertical-takeoff code?

You make a helo that flies like a plane, could work...

Skaircro

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2003, 17:00:04 »
I do have hope that someone will eventually make something like that for plane turrets, unfortunetly scripting like that is well beyond my ability.  :-\

FlipeR

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2003, 12:36:58 »
I can also confirm, that turrets doesn't have a place on planes - thats why you still havent seen my RQ-1 Predator released. In order to have the turret working I had to deifne it as a helicopter so it takes off verticaly and leans forwards and backwards when changing speed...thats CRAPPY!!! :P

I contacted Suma asking him for some fixes (also for "rockets on wheeled vehicles") but he replyed saying that fixing all this would require too much time and that they now have to work on other projects! Maybe a script would be a walkarround for the problem but unfortunately I'm an awful scripter ::)

FlipeR

BraTTy

« Reply #9 on: 05 Feb 2003, 12:01:35 »
I can confirm also that I have had no luck mounting a tailgunner on my SB2C Helldiver
I have spent hours testing things like:

1 square meter block interlock into another model

A wrap around geometry surrounding my plane

Squishing the block with my folding wings and taking off

I have thought of other things like:
setpos a turret spot,combining 2 models,camcreate a bullet when the gunner is viewing the proper direction,forcing your passenger to draw his rifle

some of these have been slightly tested also

Main problem with any setpos would be multiplayer and the fact that a plane banks

Doesn't make sense to me that a passenger can already look around (same action as aiming) but he just cannot fire
I would settle for firing from vehicle positions

Why would they code the engine when most anything else can have a turret,you can see that they started to implement turrets on planes:

//minGunElev=-0; // default - fixed gun
      //maxGunElev=+60;
      //minGunTurn=-60;
      //maxGunTurn=+60;

I know they only put a few planes originally in the game,but even planes from WW1 have tailgunners and this is a mass cripple!!!

I am only going to build fighter planes for now on

And oh,you can easily put landing gear on a helicopter,just as a animation as helicopters dont have a "gear" event
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2003, 12:05:13 by BraTTy »

FlipeR

« Reply #10 on: 05 Feb 2003, 22:20:06 »
And oh,you can easily put landing gear on a helicopter,just as a animation as helicopters dont have a "gear" event

Yeah like the guys from DKMM on their Comanche!

FlipeR