Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AI sees through, and could shoot through my model.  (Read 1552 times)

CAT_SHIT_ONE_MM

AI sees through, and could shoot through my model.
« on: 03 Feb 2003, 13:52:19 »
Hi, I've recently fixed my CPU and got back in oxygen for my Mod.  I was making various natural object models such as rocks, trees, grass, cliffs, huge rock complex and so on.  I had no problems making grass but I started having problems when I was making rocks , cliffs, and huge rock complex.  I just copied and pasted the resolution lod to the Geometry lod, view geometry lod, and fire geometry lod.  Some objects like small rocks and simple and few polygon objects works fine.  It stops bullets and ai's can't see through.  But when it comes to a little more complex objects using more polygons faces, the problem rises....  The player isn't able to go right through the objects which is ok, but the object does not stop bullets and the AI's could see right through the object so it is no use for me hiding behind it.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Oh ya, and when I try to fix it by copying  the resolution Lods polygon and connecting it together, I don't know why but there is like a invisible wall or some thing that I get stuck in and only one side stops bullets and the other side does not.  I made a bridge but I'm having the same kind of problem.  I made the roadway lod and it works fine until I pass around the center of the bridge where I just fall right through the bridge.  I thought that the part of the road way lod was below the geometry lod and that was why so I raised the altitude of the roadway lod but I still get the same problems.....

Oh ya, I did make selections on all my objects by going to structures-->topology-->find selection.  I made selections for all the LODs to.

asmodeus

Re:AI sees through, and could shoot through my model.
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2003, 15:31:44 »
Hey there!!   :D

Here's some of what you might be looking for:

after what you've described, you need to do:

component convex hull

on the fire geometry and the geometry lods'

;D

Tell me if you need to know more!   :)

Asmo

CAT_SHIT_ONE_MM

« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2003, 15:38:00 »
Hi therethanks asmodeus for your kind advice.  I did that component convex hull thing but my model changed..... I mean,,, it really got simple.  There's like places players are able to walk around but those places were covered by the new model.  Is that ok?  

asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2003, 15:56:16 »
hrm...

depends on the object..  If I'm working with a cylinder or sphere... I'll make a square or rectangle for the fire lod and geo lod... Gotta keep it simple.  Then what you do is name this square or rectangle as a component and choose:

convex hull

NOT component convex hull for this example, just the plain 'ol convex hull.   ;)

If that doesn't work, IM me or e-mail me if you want.   ;)  (Gonna go to sleep for now.)

Asmo

CAT_SHIT_ONE_MM

« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb 2003, 16:09:27 »
Hey thanks there asmo.  I'm posting the picture of my model.  This is what I used for my resolution, geometry, fire geo, and view geo.  Do you think I have to make the Geometry Lod simpler?

I'm making these models for my Afghanistan map.  New objects in the map.... new model... how sweet is that.

CAT_SHIT_ONE_MM

« Reply #5 on: 03 Feb 2003, 16:10:59 »
It's 0105 over here in Guam.  I'm getting pretty tired so I'm going to sleep to.  Adios.  I'll read your reply tommorrow morning, aye,, today after I get home and finish my home work.

Offline ScouseJedi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 03 Feb 2003, 18:58:58 »
Make your geo lod from about 5 or 6 cubes. Make it slightly bigger than the actual model so people don't get trapped. I think on the T72 demo geometry LOD there are only about 50 faces, 1700 for the main model. Use that as a guide.

Your fire Geo should be similar to your 3rd resolution LOD, ie so,ewhere in between your lowest Resolution (highest detail) and the Geometry LOD, say about 300 faces from inital LOD of 1700.

Why are you building a giant shoe though?
'The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.'
Albus Dumbledore

BraTTy

« Reply #7 on: 05 Feb 2003, 12:28:59 »
And don't forget things in your geometry lod (usually just blocks) have to be about half a meter thick
and can't be over 64m
And you don't have to do the component convex hull,just make sure they follow those outlines have at least 1 name and assign some mass in geometry lod

If you don't want to name components(have many) use the structure/topology/find components
Can also only have 128 components named,after that they will be ignored

That may be whats wrong with your bridge:
Over 64m geometry or more than 128 components
If so you need to make your bridge out of sections of seperate models less than 64m
And you can also use geometry sparingly.....
Dont need it on the ground unless someone is able to come up through it,only use geometry pieces as boundries as you have the roadway for the ground

And of course your Fire geometry would have to be prethought to comphensate (IE: put walls where cant shoot thru )
As you prolly wouldnt be pasting a copy of geometry to fire geometry

AI can see through your stuff ,you also need a View Geometry

Apparantly your geometry lod is messed as the game uses that as default view and fire geometry if there arent any of those lods
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2003, 12:39:15 by BraTTy »

CAT_SHIT_ONE_MM

« Reply #8 on: 05 Feb 2003, 13:48:00 »
hey thanks bratty and all.  Aww,, yah.  That's the problem there.... my bridge is 240m long... it was initially 60~70 meters but the .wrp editor, the elevation thing supports only 50m per cell and if I was to put a bridge over a river, I have to change atleast 3 cells which makes it 100ms.... ok, I'll try to break up the bridges into small sections.  

Another thing,, the geometry lod works very fine and it never had any problems.  The player is not able to walk through it (I just copied the resolution lod and applied mass and selection.)  Actually the problem was always the view and fire lod.  It was always invisible to the AI's and was just somekind of mirage to them.  Do I have to follow the same guide lines for the view and fire lod to?  I wonder why the resolution Lod doesn't work properly in the view and fire lod.......

Does anyone know what causes the Lod to not fuction properly besides making selections? (and also applying mass.)

I never have problems for the geometry lod.