Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How to add your objects to your island  (Read 2229 times)

Deadsoldier

How to add your objects to your island
« on: 07 Sep 2002, 01:10:58 »
Hey all,

ive been adding objects to my map no problem, thought everyone knew how to do it.
all u have to do is, if you have O2, assign the textures in it with the same path as it will be when you place the p3d file and paa files in the main island pbo file.

then in WRP editor..just add the object, from the add list, browse to your PBO file..add the object.

You will notice that it will give u error and will say it is read only. yes ..ignore it.

Then it will give u error..ignore it too.
Then you will see that it does not have an icon..so dont loose it..cause it will be represented by a dot. move this dot to where u want. and thats it.

To save, just browse to your file..and save over it..it will alow you to overwrite it.

You cant see yoru objects in the WRP preview.
So the only way to see them is to see it ingame.

hope it helps.

cheers

deadsoldier

SFG

Re:How to add your objects to your island
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2002, 01:35:14 »
Sweet! :D

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2002, 03:35:01 »
To think i actaully abided by the warnings afraid I would damage the map..

Now I know ignore them...
CBF Shipbuilding

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2002, 14:06:02 »
Experimentation is the key CBFASI.....always work with a copy when experimenting though.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Schoeler

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2002, 02:12:25 »
Ok, sorry but I'm a little slow when it comes to this stuff.  Are you saying we can add addon objects and things like Ebud's palm trees to our maps?  And, if you are, could you please specify how to do so in a step by step, plain language for dummies tutorial for those of us who have no idea how to use O2 or who don't understand what needs to go into a PBO with repsect to textures etc..?  What do you mean by paths and all that nonsense.  Technically illiterate folk like myself get lost when we hear that sort of speak.  Oh, I have WRP edit, and know how to make a map, and I also now have O2 and opened it once and then ran and hid in the corner when I saw how hard it was going to be to learn how to use it. ;D

Leone

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2002, 11:02:48 »
and I also now have O2 and opened it once and then ran and hid in the corner when I saw how hard it was going to be to learn how to use it. ;D

Is it following you around the house now? A good whack with a shovel should send it running ;)

Powerslide

« Reply #6 on: 06 Oct 2002, 02:55:57 »
So what your saying then deadsoldier is the file ha to be depbo before it gets zipped into the island pbo?

Deadsoldier

« Reply #7 on: 09 Oct 2002, 05:58:03 »
what do u mean poweslide? i dont understand u.

cheers

Deadsoldier

« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2002, 06:21:03 »
schoeler...

lets say that your island pbo file name is : cyprus

You make an object in O2, you want to :

- Place this object onto your island
- Place this object in your island pbo file.
so that you would have everything in one big file.

In O2, if you know how to you use it, you have to have the "texture name prefix" set to : cyrpus\

or if you want to place all the object textures in one folder inside the pbo file in the sake of organisation , you make it like this :   cyprus\texture\

-You work on your object in O2 and when yuor done you save it.
- Get your p3d file and textures that you just made (the object).
- place the the p3d file and the textures in your cyprus.pbo file. Make sure the path is the same. in the pbo make a folder called texture so that you will place yoru textures in it ..thats if you chose to be more organised. or you can even make a folder for the object alone. I dont know why im explaining this...all im trying to say is, make sure you have the same path inside the pbo as you put it in O2. common sense. if you dont have common sense..then dont use the computer and go play outside.

- Once you placed the p3d and textures in the right place in the pbo, Copy the pbo to your addons folder in OFP.
-When i say :place it in your pbo, i mean that place it in the folder where you will pbo it..or compress it in pbo format to become your pbo file. after you compressed the pbo with all the files in it, copy it to your addons.

- Then go back to WRP editor.
- Open it. Open your file cyprus.wrp

To add the object to the map in WRP editor:
-------------------------------------------

-Double click anywhere to place an object.
-click on Browse
-click on "Add" top left.
-browse to your addons folder and double click on cyrpus.pbo
- Scroll down the menu..all the way down , where file names are not proceeded with " / " or " // "
- /cyprus wont work.
- //cyprus wont work.
-  cyprus  will work.

Click on cyprus folder, and browse in it to find your p3d file. the one you made in O2.

-select it.
- select OK.

-Place it on map. It will give you error " Model "cyprus\zoo.p3d" not loaded. Continue? "

- Hit Yes. On the map, it will be represented by a dot, unless it has an icon for it. it needs scripting to do that. I still dont know how to script an object inside the main pbo file..do i add the script into the main island script? i dont know..please tell me anyone.

When you find the dot..move it around to where u want it.
- Save the wrp file.
- PBO the file ie. compress the file into .pbo format using PBOTools. or any pbo'er.

Copy the pbo file to your addons.

Launch OFP. and y our set.

Note You cant view the object inthe WRP viewer.
- The only way to view the object is inside game.

Hope its simple enough for "dummy" style people.

cheers all.

Deadsoldier

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2002, 12:52:34 »
You will be unable to see the icon till the next version of Wrpedit.

I found how to get the icon, ie see building footprints in the game map, but its part of the model (geometry properties, only just found this).

As the Wrpedit is NOT loading the old demo models then its not finding these pr0perties so until its fixed you will only get a dot.

Oh yes, I know theres an icon property in the cpp but that only applies to the mission editor.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2002, 12:58:43 by CBFASI »
CBF Shipbuilding

Powerslide

« Reply #10 on: 09 Oct 2002, 23:49:37 »
I don't thing this texture name thing is the only way to do it Deadsoldier, from snooping around a bit I also think that is can be set in config.cpp, no matter the texture name, you just have to have the path correct. The textures correlate to the object p3d, not to the island. I am checking into this further and will let you know.

pertti49

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2002, 01:36:17 »
U dont need Oxy to get custom p3d in Wrp just browse the addon and remove first / from name and press ok then u get text blablabla cant load do u whant to continue apply that and its in map, u cant see it in Wrp but its in map
greetings:pertti49