Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Geometry LOD max dimension  (Read 5965 times)

AG_Smith

Geometry LOD max dimension
« on: 15 Jan 2003, 17:05:16 »
Hi there,
I'm about to make a large harbour complex. I've made a dock model - size ca. 500x500m, so that you could fit any ship inside. The problem is that Geometry LOD doesn't work even though it's done 100% correctly (weights set, components found, hull convexed, etc.). Ingame I can simply walk, drive or shoot through it.
I've figured out that there are problems that this happens when model is any larger than about 100x100m.
Any suggestions how to make it work?

nik

Re:Geometry LOD max dimension
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2003, 14:27:53 »
Hi I think the Geo-lod supports only objects that are not bigger then 64m correctly.

nik
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2003, 14:28:23 by nik »

asmodeus

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2003, 21:01:44 »
I ran into a similar problem with the TAAB addon that our Mod came out with recently.

There are 2 solutions, as I see it.

1.  Make the dock a bunch of seperate pieces that are small enough for O2 to work correctly.

2.  Make the geo lod yourself (out of many, many pieces) and do not use the component convex hull trick.  I had to do this for a couple of large buildings, but it works pretty good now!   ;)

Hope that helps!  (If you need details, let me know)   ;)

Asmo  
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2003, 21:07:33 by Asmodeus »

AG_Smith

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2003, 14:50:00 »
I've chosen the 1st way. Addon is nearly ready and I'll relase it in about a week. Stay tuned for new.
64m max dim seems to be right.
Thanks for your reply.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2003, 22:48:28 »
I've chosen the 1st way. Addon is nearly ready and I'll relase it in about a week. Stay tuned for new.
64m max dim seems to be right.
Thanks for your reply.

sounds good, m8 - love yer products  :-* 8) they really bring the game to life! and we need a big harbour indeed

AG_Smith

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2003, 15:52:32 »
OK, it's ready. All of you, who want to see the effect of my work, go to:
http://www.of.fpp.pl/?pl:pages:show:543:::
and grab it!

asmodeus

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2003, 13:52:51 »
Hey!

Good job!  This is a pretty good addon!   :)

A couple things I noticed so far that I thought might help you though..

Near the helipad at the end of the dock I fall through in a few different places...  In the jeep or on foot.  (I know how it is to work with buildings on water...  makes me feel  >:( sometimes...  ;))

Oh yeah, and on those cool cranes you made, one small thing is that the height for the "control" area door is too low for a soldier standing straight up and walk through.   ;)

I like it and it works well with large boats!  :thumbsup:  

Oh yeah, and it kinda fits well with our TAAB addon too!  (A pack with bunkers and parking garages' and other stuff that could work well to defend it or something)   ;)

Asmo
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2003, 13:56:56 by Asmodeus »

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2003, 13:06:44 »
 :o :D Fantastic stuff, agent.  :-* 8)

And my kid loves it too... I just made him a demo harbour-míssion to show him the goods!

Like, asmo said :  the crane's control hut needs another mtr's height. And the ladder doesn't work properly
but I guess you know that already.

Apart from that its almost perfect, though the helipad piece doesnt work at all so I dont use it. Never really got why you put mass into the helipad marker, why not simply "draw" it directly on the concrete?

Ok ok, it might take a special made concrete block but it would solve the AI's problems when using it.

All in all this is a fantastic addon - in its own way, as cool as the latest chopper addons!  :o 8) ;D
Now we just need a few big ( BIG ) warehouses; for now I use the hangars but we need real warehouses, with working 'balchonys' along the insides. (balchony's  ??? ;D what are they called?)

And someone need to make us this fork-lift  8) that we never got!!!!!  :D

GREAT WORK, ags  :-* bring more of the kind, mylordship

AG_Smith

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2003, 12:44:27 »
Thanks for your reply, guys.
the crane's control hut needs another mtr's height. And the ladder doesn't work properly
but I guess you know that already.
Yes, I do know that.
I'll change the helipad too. Appropriate update is on the way.
Asmo: I can't find any "fall-through" places. I spent 25 minutes searching for it... Maybe this problem is yours-specific?
And one more news:
The industrial (and BIG warehouses) buildings are next in my production queue, so be patient, you'll get what you want.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2003, 13:54:13 »

1.) I can't find any "fall-through" places. I spent 25 minutes searching for it...

2.) The industrial (and BIG warehouses) buildings are next in my production

========================================

1.)  I know what this is  :) its not yer addon, smithyboy, its asmo and his bad setpossing  ::) ;D

Honestly, if placed at the wrong pos, the concrete blocks (any block) will have "dangerous" edges!  :P
Its all just a matter of patient setpos creation  :-*

so ease up, agent, its not your addon!   ;)

2.) Perfect  8) have a looksie at the BIS aircraft hangar (the new resistance 1.70 model)
    I'd like to see a building like this - but with working stairs & ladders, a bit like the orig. bis "factory" building.  :)

============

Oh  :o and here's one more request, mate :

a covered dock, like one of your harbour blocks but covered with a roof and with the posibility to walk around the (parked) ship  :D

could be nice

And another important thing :

The container crates are cool enough - dont change them. but add this:

we need a crate with working (animated) doors  :) for cutscenes
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2003, 14:03:00 by Tomb »

asmodeus

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2003, 21:59:10 »
========================================

1.)  I know what this is  :) its not yer addon, smithyboy, its asmo and his bad setpossing  ::) ;D

Honestly, if placed at the wrong pos, the concrete blocks (any block) will have "dangerous" edges!  :P
Its all just a matter of patient setpos creation  :-*

so ease up, agent, its not your addon!   ;)

Who's agent??   Anyhow...  I used the example mission that came with the addon!  I didn't setpos nothin!   :P  

It happens when I'm walking directly towards the helipad from any direction..  It's like there's a circle around it where you can fall through..  No biggy though, I just don't go over there!   ;D  Like you said, it could be specific to my comp, just wanted to make sure you knew about it!  (We have unexplained texture probs in our TAAB addon, but it only happens for very few people.... still trying to figure them out..)

Asmo

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2003, 23:18:32 »
 :o agent  ??? well, thats agent_smith or AG_smith, diff. names in diff. worlds  :)
(yanno, he's also starring the latest Bond movie: Die another Addon!  8) ;D )

j/k there!

About the block: hmmm, wouldn't know - I never got to try the demo, I was too busy
trying my own ideas back home  :-[ ;D but you're probably right, asmo  :)

hek - maybe AG also made a 'wrong' setpossing in that demo, dunno really?!
but nevermind... his stuff always ends up working like a charm in the end  8)

=============

[mod.]  >> a charm in the end <<  ??? ( ;D ) LOL

« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2003, 23:20:04 by Tomb »

AG_Smith

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2003, 13:07:01 »
OK, boys, the fixed version is available  :)(crane and helipad altered). Use the link to my page, it's somewhere above.

And to be clear, AG stands for Agent  8)
Tomb, I think you'll be satisfied with my warehouses, but it'll take me some time to finish them... :(

One more thing, tell me if you know any model animation tutorial so I could make the crate with animated doors.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2003, 14:54:32 »
 :) Try a readthru here and here  :-*

(it's on the oficial BIS forums - you don't have to be a member to read the threads there)

Skaircro

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2003, 19:49:03 »
Just a little something I whipped up that you might be interested in.

Tomb, you might be interested in this too!   ;)

You will have to do a bit of fixing on the geometry, but other that that it should be ok.

Enjoy!  :-*

http://home.iprimus.com.au/dwright1/skc_crate.zip
(let me know if the link doesnt work)