Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Shadow on High face count models  (Read 1867 times)

STGN

Shadow on High face count models
« on: 19 Dec 2002, 09:30:06 »
How can I do that ???
I have heard that you can make a shadow in O2 would
enyone care to tell me how to or is there eny other way to
make the shadow apear whit out having to de make the face
count smaller. :P
STGN

earl_laamanen

Re:Shadow on High face count models
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2002, 11:21:57 »
I'm not sure about the details, but I know that you can make a model which must be under 300 faces, then make a new LOD for it.  It never has to be visible in the game, but there is a way to make OFP calculate shadows based on that <300 face model.

Sorry I can't help you more than that, I've never done it myself, it was just explained to me.

Offline rom

• Members
  • . . .
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2002, 11:23:21 »
In general you allways have to do lower poly versions of your model because you need different detailes for different view distances. That's what the LODs are for. To show less details the further the model is away from you. Otherwise you would get major lag.

When you have different LODs, then just mark the LODs with more than 500 (not sure about the exact number) faces with lodnoshadow=1 in the named properties for the specific LOD so that OFP doesn't look for a shadow in LODs with more than 500 faces.

This way you get your high detail model and a low detail shadow.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2002, 11:26:42 by rom »

STGN

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2002, 15:07:38 »
what i wanted was to have the high face model for 50-100 meters thats the only time you can see the model and then i was goging to make very low face count model and just make it dark grey. no one would notice. and tha should be the shadow is that posible.
STGN

Offline rom

• Members
  • . . .
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2002, 19:08:44 »
sure.

Just place the lodnoshadow=1 as a named property in your high detail LOD and you'll get the low detail shadow from your second LOD with your high detail model.

The lodnoshadow=1 property tells OFP not to look for shadows in the specific LOD.

STGN

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2002, 23:31:07 »
okay but can I do that to more than one LOD like calling th next lodnoshadow=2 or what

STGN

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2002, 21:30:19 »
How do I do that I have tjeckt and there is nothing called lodnoshadow=1.
STGN

Vibes

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2002, 23:53:21 »
If your in O2 press alt-p or open up the named properties window then right click in the white box and then click new under name ad lodnoshadow and 1 in the value tab do this for all the lods you dont want to use as shadows.

STGN

« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2003, 22:25:25 »
I have look at it and i cant find out how to do it would you pleas tell it whit a littel more ditail.
STGN

earl_laamanen

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jan 2003, 00:54:29 »
STGN, I'll post a few screenshots here tonight that shows you how to do it.  It worked for my sr47.

STGN

« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2003, 02:51:23 »
Hey earl about your SR47 and SR74 they are realy great but i think there is a problem when you for xampel take a handgranade up you bend down and your gun goes out to the side now i havent tried this but I think that your gun will be invisibel if you look over at it due to that you have cut the hole side of the internal gun which i cut see in O2.
STGN
ps. hope you pictures works.

earl_laamanen

« Reply #11 on: 03 Jan 2003, 04:55:55 »
I'll have to try that STGN - I tested everything I thought of, but I never tried throwing a grenade... I'll have a look.

I also noticed that it "collides" with other SR47's.  Try shooting a teammate, then try walking over him - it pushes the body around because the SR47's collide.

I'll get those screens right now...

Here we go -

« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2003, 05:49:28 by earl. »

STGN

« Reply #12 on: 03 Jan 2003, 13:00:18 »
I was thinking of picking one up and then look over at the gun.
STGN