Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: It's all in the details  (Read 1310 times)

Kaliyuga

It's all in the details
« on: 28 Dec 2002, 22:08:34 »

Hmm.... I've got a nice, shiny new beta building add-on going on

well.. a couple of them actually...

but I'm down to putting the finishing touches on one in particular and while the little details I've added in to my textures for the final version look crystal clear on my PC, the few people who I have let have a look-see report that my details look very blurry ingame for them....

I thought it might be due to one graphics card being superior to another.. but now that a few more people have seen it .. I think I can safely say that Graphics cards aren't the problem...

I'm not sure if this is something to be corrected in O2 its self
 (if it is I apologize for the using the wrong board :P)
or something that has to do with my textures themselves..

or somewhere inbetween.. ::)

Any ideas, comments, suggestions... would be greatly appreciated..

:cheers:

earl_laamanen

Re:It's all in the details
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2002, 02:13:54 »
Only Resistance allows texture sizes greater than 256x256px.

I had a similar problem with my addon.  I don't have resistance, so my 512x512 textures looked terrible, even at 1024x1024.  Once I realized the constraints, I decided to break my 512x512 into 4 individual 256x256 images.

Does it look good to you in-game?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2002, 09:04:52 »
  Interesting info...  I wasn't aware of that issue with texture sizes...  
however...  we've implemented the new class system available with 1.90 so all of our addons will require that version of OFP or higher.... ;D

That being said....  everyone that has seen it has 1.90 or higher version..  and it looks crystal clear in-game for me... just not for the other people who have had a look at it ..

asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2002, 22:24:20 »
Yeah, I'm one of the people that it looked all blurry for...  All the normal textures look fine, it's just some inside wall textures that have certain details on them that blur up all bad.  

Weird huh?    ???

Anyone have any ideas to help us?  

Asmo

Offline Colonel_Klink

• Members
  • Independent Addon Creator
    • DC3D Game Modelling Zone
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2003, 08:38:45 »
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but I play OFP in 800 x 600 32 bit mode. When I switch to 16 bit I get some texture contamination, which means having to test in the lower resolution before release. The contamination I'm reporting is some thin areas being a different color from the rest of the mosel, and some background  parts showing through to the front.
Rebel without a pause...D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

BlinkDog

« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2003, 09:43:33 »
I play on 16 bit so I can have farther clipping. The textures tend to look like shitte but I prefer to see an enemy at long distance than to see all the minute details at close. I hope to get a GF4 soon, so that may change.