Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: WRPEdit and scale question  (Read 1476 times)

ntstlkr

WRPEdit and scale question
« on: 04 Dec 2002, 22:24:06 »
Cheers all,
As OFPInternals is down for now I figured I'd post this here and at other forums. I was doing some thinking about increasing the size of maps in OFP as I have a campaign in mind that would be facilitated by large scale maps.

I had posted some questions in other forums but didn't get any replies about experiments done a long while back to test OFPs ability to handle large (larger than standard 12.5x12.5) maps. At one point I believe someone had stated that maps 50x50 and so were definitely possible, though they never posted how it was tested.

Anyways,  I wondered if there might be a way to "virtually" simulate a larger map by going back, through oxygen, and rescaling everything down to 1/2 to 1/4 of its standard size. I'm talking about all the objects and player models of course.
To an object thats half or a quarter standard size, the 12.5x12.5 would have to "appear" larger than it is right?

Would this work? Of course I could expect some loss of detail I suppose since the island is built on a certain level of detail. My big question would be about the game measuring distances between "rescaled" objects. In other words, would your M16A2 now be able to fire an apparent 5000 meters as opposed to 400-800 eff range?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

NSDQ!

Pigeons

Re:WRPEdit and scale question
« Reply #1 on: 04 Dec 2002, 23:02:57 »
I'm not sure if its possible, but i posted a question about the cell size in wrpedit.. and you cant really reduce the cell size, so, lets say your idea worked right?  Everything would be HUGE, hills and mountains and stuff, prolly a little TOO big.. because you cant reduce the cell size.. so even if you got the houses\player models\guns\etc all smaller, the islands would be one hell of a time to correct

ntstlkr

« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2002, 07:48:30 »
Thanks Pidgeon, ;)
HHmm, good thought on the cell sizes though I wasn't really approaching it in that matter. I'm talking about rescaling all the 3d models used for all the objects in the game. So that would include trees, buildings and such. Really I'm looking this over because the campaign I'm drumming up will involve some complex air missions, which is a facet f the game I think is really limited because of the set map size.

The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe it might be relegated to purely air and naval type missions in the campaign. Build a few special purpose maps with the associated addons to be used only for those type missions.

Comments?

Thanks 8)

Pigeons

« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2002, 10:21:27 »
Ya, thats a good idea though.. resizing the models and trees and houses, and all that.. but theres still thelandscape deal.. everything would be huge (island wise, not trees and houses)

someone would have to create a new program similar to wrpedit

Leone

« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2002, 04:59:42 »
I can see where you are coming from...but that's an awful lot of work. Still if you are willing to do it all...good luck. I think the larger islands can be made...but not in WRPEdit...you have to use HexEditing...which for a 50x50km island could take a while! What about making four islands...then somehow using HexEditing to join them up? Anyone have any ideas on this?

ntstlkr

« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec 2002, 19:05:46 »
Thanks for the input Leone,
Hexeditting?! How would you do this? Does WRPedit ONLY support standard maps or is it capable to ONLY create a standard map but can edit other sizes. If so, would it be feasible to create a base 50x50 map using hexediting, then modify it through WRPedit?

Merging maps together would be cool too. Good idea. Too bad OFPInternals is offline or we could explore this with them.

I figure the rescale maps would definitely only be for air and naval missions the more I think about it.

That way you wouldn't have too much to do in the way of minutia like roads and stuff. You could just use the textures to mark them on the ground but not worry about it actually working. As for the naval stuff, just a flat map to represent a piece of ocean (the North Atlantic say) so you can get some ship-to-ship or air-to-surface type missions (Ithink someone already has some Backfires done!), just exploring a though is all. Missions on those maps could start and end in the air.

Still alot of work involved though. Anyone know if OFPinternals is offline permanently?

Thanks guys

NSDQ!

Leone

« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2002, 06:58:50 »
As far as anyone knows WRPEdit will only handle 12.8x12.8km maps. In the days before WRPEdit came out some people started posting stuff here and there about how to edit .wrp files just with code (Hexediting). The way to get a larger island would be using this method since OFP can actually support quite large islands (up to 200x200km I've been told). VBS-1 has 144x144km islands...but unless you are a government you can't get it  :P

So if you have the patience to learn Hexediting, and to make an island that big...I think we are atuck with 12.8x12.8km  :-[

ntstlkr

« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2002, 09:25:37 »
Cheers,
Heh heh, yeah see what you mean. Ok, whats the approach I should take with hexediting? Anyone know it well enough to get me started?  ???

Another problem cropped up we hadn't thought about in rescaling though. OFPinfo forum someone hit on whether I would have to reconfigure the animations and such too. He's prob right. Explosions would be enormous, way out of wack. So I guess that kills that one. :-[

I guess the only hope is the hexedit or modified WRPedit.

Know anyone good at that or where I can get tutorials? ???

Thanks again for the input. ;)

NSDQ!