Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: req Bosnia-Hertzogovina map req  (Read 9822 times)

Gerald Duval

req Bosnia-Hertzogovina map req
« on: 29 Nov 2002, 06:30:39 »
If anyone could make a Bosnia-Hertzogovina map with half snow, and half autum textures it'd be appreciated. This would include huge forests (hopefully with roads through the forests) and half destroyed towns and such. Kinda like the crap ass movie Beind Enemy lines (its only saving grace was the set and unis) thanks in advance for any help or support.

GeneralRatko

Re:req Bosnia-Hertzogovina map req
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2003, 05:39:11 »
If anyone could make a Bosnia-Hertzogovina map with half snow, and half autum textures it'd be appreciated. This would include huge forests (hopefully with roads through the forests) and half destroyed towns and such. Kinda like the crap ass movie Beind Enemy lines (its only saving grace was the set and unis) thanks in advance for any help or support.

Well I'm starting to develop my balkan war campaign with new units and maps. It will be centered around the story of Arkan's Tigers (Serb Volunteer Guard). They fought in Croatia and Bosnia so I will definitely make a Bosnian map :) Snowy mountains with deep river canyons and stuff ;)
I already made some 'prototype' bosnian terrains as I was playing with terragen. I found that the best way to add river canyons was to cut deep and narrow valleys directly into a mountain. The only problem is that Wilbur or Terragen programs are not really precise, especially in 256x256 :( Does anyone know a good way to make really precise 'cuts' into the terrain?
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2003, 05:40:08 by GeneralRatko »

Grenadier

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2003, 20:29:32 »
Why not use a representation of the actual terrain.

The Aster DEM availability map shows that the entire area has been digitally stored allready and with a little patience you can easily download any part of the country from the net. I took down my website on how to work with DEMS but hopefully soon I'll have a word document or something I'll submit to OFPEC if you haven't read about it last year.

http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/aster/dem_map_fullimage.html

Try http://www.terrainmap.com starters on a quick explanation on how things are done to first aquire the data.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2003, 20:41:05 by Grenadier »

GeneralRatko

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2003, 04:10:09 »
That's an awesome idea! :o I read about DEM in some tutorial but I don't think there were any instructions on to how to really import the data into WRP Edit so I'm really looking forward to your tutorial :D
So, what is the resolution of Aster DEM? Do river beds show on the map?
And speaking of the forests, I tried to add some with the WRP Utils. Those damn things won't attach to the ground (note that it was on a hilly terrain) so I had to manually set that option for every single forest triangle ::) Anyway, after I finished and tested the forest in OFP, some of the trees were hovering above the ground, some were buried into the ground and some were properly sticking to the ground. ??? What is the problem with them? I can't seem to find out what makes them attach to the ground and/or what makes them hover in the air. :(

Grenadier

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2003, 19:43:14 »
Aster Data is at a 30m x 30m resolution which is better than the 50m x 50m standard of OFP. You'll actually have to tune it down if you want it to come in correctly.

As far as river beds you'll have to play with this to get it right. Water is usually at an elevation of around 0 but you have to also account for tides. You'll have to move the entire map down in steps till the rivers start to be created. If he river is flowing steeply down hill there is no way to show it because of the level surface of the water. You can however cut the valleys a little deeper.

As far as the trees - this subjuct was solved awhile back but the answer is no longer available at the OFPInternals site. Possibly Garcia, Planck or other WRP guru can help. I seem to remember the need to use only certain trees on level gound while others could be attached to hills. I could be mistaken.

Grenadier

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2003, 19:58:22 »
Tell you what, give me the lat/long of about the center of an area that would take up a standard OFP map and i'll run through getiing the data and place a small tutorial in this section explaining exactly how I did it. I'll make it available to download. You'll just have to crop out what you want and resample for WrpEdit.

GeneralRatko

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2003, 00:50:35 »
That would be great! :D I think that the town Zvornik could be the center. The area around it has some steep hills and valleys.
# Longitude: 19.100834 (19°6'3"E)
# Latitude: 44.381668 (44°22'54"N)

Last night I was reading through the www.terrainmap.com. Lots of information but kind of complicated to understand. At least for a beginner like me. I actually managed to get some data on a peninsula in the adriatic sea (near the Krk island that was used for the Everon map!) but it was really small in size (it was probably in a very low resolution) and it came in raw binary format. Neither of the programs I have (wilbur and terragen) could read it properly so the map was mirrored and squashed :) Anyway, I think it wasn't so bad for a first time :D
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2003, 22:09:29 by GeneralRatko »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2003, 18:38:54 »
Of the 13 original forest pieces, these 6 do not conform to the steep contours:

les ctverec mlazi.p3d (forest, square, copse)
les ctverec pruchozi_T1.p3d (forest, square, continuous)
les ctverec pruchozi_T2.p3d (forest, square, continuous)
les_su_ctver_mlaz.p3d (forest, square, mixed copse)
les_su_ctver_pruhozi_T1.p3d (forest, square, mixed continuous)
les_su_ctver_pruhozi_T2.p3d (forest, square, mixed continuous)

Although the T1 and T2 pieces don't conform to steep slopes in WrpEdit at the moment, they do work on level ground.
Used individually these T1 & T2 forest pieces produce a triangle of forest, T1 in the top right triangle of the cell and T2 in the bottom left triangle, when oriented at 0 degrees.
So when used together on the same cell they produce a square of forest.

These remaining 7 pieces do conform to the steep contours:

les ctverec dark.p3d (SOLID)
les ctverec.p3d (forest, square)
les trojuhelnik pruchozi.p3d (forest, triangle, continuous)
les trojuhelnik.p3d (forest, triangle)
les_su_ctver.p3d (SOLID)
les_su_ctver_pruhozi.p3d (forest, square, mixed type)
les_su_trojuhelnik (forest, triangle, mixed type)

Of those 7 pieces, les ctverec dark.p3d and les_su_ctver.p3d are SOLID forest pieces and cannot be entered.

With Resistance, there are new trees and 13 new forest pieces that are available.
Of these 13 pieces the following 5 pieces conform to slopes but are not enterable:

les ctverec geom.p3d (forest, square,)
les_nw_ctver.p3d (forest, new, square)
les_nw_ctver_pruhozi.p3d forest, new, square, continuous)
les_nw_jehl_ctver.p3d (forest, new, pine, square) - (This piece looks ok in WrpEdit, but it seems to have trouble finding textures in game.)
les_nw_jehl_mlaz.p3d (forest, new, pine, copse) - (This piece also looks ok in WrpEdit, but it seems to have trouble finding textures in game.)

les_nw_ctver_mlaz.p3d (forest, new, square, copse) is not visible, either in WrpEdit or in game, but nevertheless cannot be entered.
I do not know if it conforms to slopes or not.

These 4 pieces do not conform to slopes and like the original T1 and T2 forest squares are used in pairs on the same cell to produce a forest square:

les_nw_ctver_pruhozi_T1.p3d (forest, new, square, continuous)
les_nw_ctver_pruhozi_T2.p3d (forest, new, square, continuous)
les_nw_jehl_T1.p3d (forest, new, pine)
les_nw_jehl_T2.p3d (forest, new, pine)

The last 3 pieces do conform to slopes and can be entered:

les_nw_jehl_ctver_pruhozi.p3d (forest, new, pine, square, continuous) - (This piece looks ok in WrpEdit, but it seems to have trouble finding textures in game.)
les_nw_jehl_trojuhelnik.p3d (forest, new, pine, triangle)
les_nw_trojuhelnik.p3d (forest, new, triangle)

Hope this helps

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

GeneralRatko

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2003, 01:08:40 »
Nice reference list. Many thanks, Planck! :) Now I finally understand the forests. The WRP Utils place 'Everon' forests in the T1/T2s so they don't follow the terrain slope :( I'll just have to plant the right ones manually. At least until WRP Edit 1.0 comes out (hopefully soon) with copy+paste ;)

Bosniarat

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2003, 05:49:23 »
Good Idea for a Map! I was Deployed to Bosnia in 1997 (hence the name :) ) and  Zvornik  was one of our areas of Responsciblity. I drove many of hours thru that terrain and had a blast (hehehe Mine humor) doing it! I would love to do a Thunder Run again though Zvornik again :D Well Just want to wish you the best of luck on getting this Map Done!
HOOOAAAH!
SFOR Camp Dobol Mar 97 to Oct 97

Grenadier

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2003, 00:50:00 »
Halfway through tutorial. Waiting on data. May take up to three weeks but usually alot less. Last time it was less than a week. Will keep everyone informed of progress.

GeneralRatko

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2003, 01:26:16 »
That's great! :) I'm in the process of finding photos, roadmaps and city maps of the area. I already have loads of them from Zvornik. I also found an aerial map of eastern Bosnia.
Furthermore I just learned how to get resistance objects into WRP Edit so I can add bridges, new vegetation, appartment buildings and other cool stuff. ;D

BTW, does anyone know of a railroad addon? It would be nice (and realistic) to have a railroad going through the valleys.

Grenadier

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2003, 01:43:36 »
Well I've received the info and have converted it to a point it is viewable. The areas in blue are not water bodies but just areas the sensor failed to record due cloud cover or other anomaly. The area I've hatched in read to the lower right should contain the coordinate provided for Zvornik. The entire area shown is roughly 60km x 60km. Before i proceed any futher can someone with knowledge of the area verify my calculations as what i have shown represents the area in question. I would hate to run through the tutorial and not produce as accurate as a result as possible. Thanks. Oh yeah - North is up the page. Probably not a good enough image for centering around the town but a map from it could be made from the town to the Northwest as you can see.

GeneralRatko

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:00:01 »
Yes, that is definitely north-eastern Bosnia :)
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/bosnia/tuzla_tpc_92.jpg

Well, the town of Zvornik is near the border with Serbia, so I could make the map from the area to the west of the town, with the town Zvornik being on the far East side of the map.

Grenadier

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:23:06 »
Excellent news. The lowlands to the north and west match the DEM. I'm confident now that my work so far has been correct. I'll continue writing the rest of the tutorial. Thanks for the link.