Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Game optimization  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Kneehi

• Members
Game optimization
« on: 25 Jul 2011, 23:10:47 »
Idk if i should post this here, but anyway....

My question is: Inserting Addons into the game would slow it?  ???

Ah, and does anybody know any stunt planes addons? That would be awesome!
Thx
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2011, 00:38:48 by Kneehi »
War ain't fair.

Offline Inlesco

• Members
Re: Game optimization
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2011, 09:26:35 »
It depends on how many add-ons you're planning to put into required directory. It isn't wise to place lots of files at add-on folder only, modfolders would be very helpful in this matter. You can make shortcuts, which will run the game with all add-ons you have set in, let's say, @myfun folder. Read here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/modfolders

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2011, 17:56:11 »
The answer has to be as vague as the question: addons have the potential to make the game run more slowly than normal. There are three general areas where the impact might be felt:

Memory
   OFP assigns some memory to new addons. Having too many might cause problems, but the -NoMap command can help if OFP refuses to start or complains of being "Out of Memory".

Visual complexity
   Some addons can be so complex (or use many large textures) that the game has difficulty drawing them quick enough, and so the framerate drops.

Scripting
   Used to augment units behaviour and appearance this causes more work for the processor. Again, if it can't keep up the framerate suffers.

Addons used in moderation shouldn't cause problems except on the weakest of systems (less than 1 GHz processor, etc), but still:
      - don't have active more addons than you need: use modfolders
      - keep your missions sensible: 200 v 200 is going to cause problems even in vanilla OFP
      - remember that OFP is now 10 years old and cannot make use of the latest hardware (multi-core processors or graphics cards)

In short: know your limits.

Offline Kneehi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2011, 22:39:39 »
Yeah, thanks for your time guys, that was of great help to me..
No more questions... =]
War ain't fair.