Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Bullet Drop??  (Read 1644 times)

_hammy_

Bullet Drop??
« on: 08 Nov 2002, 19:53:21 »
Is there a command to make the bullet drop like after 140m?

Lucknow

Re:Bullet Drop??
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2002, 21:23:23 »
the 'initspeed' command found in the CfgWeapon section simulates bullet drop nicely.

It determines the muzzle velocity of the weapon and is in metres per second units (e.g. 1000ms is 'initspeed=1000;').

You don't often see bullet drop because the speed is usually set very high and/or the view range doesn't allow it.

But try setting an initspeed of 300ms on a machine gun with tracers, fire at a point well in the distance, and you'll see the bullet stream fall well below where you are actually aiming.

_hammy_

« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2002, 21:40:27 »
hmmmm, it works sortof  :-\ it brings the bullet up instead of down, so if i would shoot at a hill, the bullet would land higher than were my crosshairs are...

Lucknow

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2002, 22:13:57 »
You know, I think you're right!?!

I think BIS have altered the physics in some way with newer patches.

I certainly remember tweaking 'initspeed' when I was experimenting some months ago (version 1.46 or pehaps a slightly older one) and the bullet drop certainly worked correctly then. I rememeber being dead impressed at how the tracers used to drop away (just like in real footage) and having to correct for it for long range targets.

Well, now we'll have to wait for BIS to put it back I think!  :'(
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2002, 22:17:36 by Lucknow »

_hammy_

« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2002, 22:32:39 »
lol, i just found something weird, i tryed putting a '-' infront of the 300, and then i went into OFP and i would shoot and the bullet would come out the back of the gun!

:-\
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2002, 00:17:48 by HAMMY »

Baphomet

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2002, 04:27:23 »
I find that a lot of addon makers don't accurately depict the speed in m/s for most weapons. The FN MAG for instance, as I recall had a speed of 300 m/s which is wrong. According to references I checked, the speed was 840. I don't mind a realistic depiction. However I hate when addonmakers fuck weapons over for the sake of balance or their skewed view of what guns should be.

The HK pack weapons for instance. I know they made the pistols far worse than they actually are. The drop on them is ridiculous. The average speed for a pistol round is between 250-350. They added some Maxleadspeed value which is much lower than the posted initspeed value which I'm pretty sure messed them up. Its just annoying for me to watch a bullet fly as far as a paintball.

_hammy_

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2002, 00:31:17 »
k... what did that have to do with the code for bullet drop? if u reply, a least reply saying something productive  :-* all that was, was a complaint, if you have any probs. with the speed, then change it yur self
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2002, 00:39:47 by HAMMY »

Baphomet

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2002, 15:24:15 »
I would, but the arrogant sods who made the HK pack binarized their .cpp in the latest release. =P

Why not simply reduce the initspeed to something like 70? I imagine if you play around enough with initspeed values that you'll find something thats acceptable.

_hammy_

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2002, 00:14:43 »
dude, i have messed around iwth initspeed for like 2 days total, and i have done sh*t but waste my time