Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Project : UK Forces  (Read 58426 times)

screamingeagle_101

Re:Project : UK Forces
« Reply #90 on: 25 Nov 2002, 22:10:33 »
Yay, but does anyone know where those Marines are?

Mr_Shady

« Reply #91 on: 26 Nov 2002, 00:39:30 »
Just a suggestion, but if you give these boys the "strokegun" and "fist" actions I might die a happy man. If not I might have a paranoid schizophrenic episode and glue blasting caps to my face and jump downstairs again.... oops, said too much  :-X

Offline vade_101

• Members
  • oh hell......
« Reply #92 on: 26 Nov 2002, 01:27:29 »

new weapon model - *ahem* Experimental texture.

my first texture are y'all proud of me ;-) (sorry its a bit dark)

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #93 on: 26 Nov 2002, 10:50:39 »
WOW!!  :o
That looks great for your first texture. Also don't give the SA80 or LSW busrt fire modes, they don't have them.

Britboy

« Reply #94 on: 26 Nov 2002, 21:04:49 »
As I remember burst modes were put in game because of the AI

Offline vade_101

• Members
  • oh hell......
« Reply #95 on: 27 Nov 2002, 18:23:40 »
Yeah, the whole Burst-Fire thing is proving a slight problem, especially with the LSW and its 30 round mags. ammo conservation is an issue. we are working on it tho.

There are some new weapons screenshots on the website.

Marsuitor

« Reply #96 on: 28 Nov 2002, 13:08:26 »
Over the past couple of days we've been having some grey hairs over the machinegun problematic, and we've come to the point where we are considering adding a 3 round burst mode and slightly lowering recoil to the LSW/Minimi/GPMG to get the AI to fire the weapon like a soldier.
We know this is not realistic seeing that neither of the above weapons have that trigger group. But we have deemed it necassary because AI machinegunners have a very bad habit of firing a full magazine or belt downrange and not hitting, because recoil ensures all rounds going above the targets head.
At the end of the day we find this more realistic, seeing that firing short bursts is what soldiers are taught to do, and that no Para/RM or SAS trooper would ever be so lousy shots themselves. ;D

Before doing this, we'd like to hear the communities opinion on the matter. Do you agree, not agree (and why)? And do you have any suggestions as to how we can overcome this problem (we have already tried a lot of different approaches without much luck)?

MMB

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #97 on: 28 Nov 2002, 14:26:12 »
Ok I agree that the burst trigger groups are neccessary cause the AI are dumbasses, but you not gonna do the same for the SA80?

Marsuitor

« Reply #98 on: 28 Nov 2002, 15:19:31 »
No need for 3rd burst for SA80 as AI only uses semi.
So the answer is no, were not doing it ;)
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2002, 15:20:39 by Marsuitor »

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #99 on: 29 Nov 2002, 00:13:27 »
Ever feel like you arrived a great party, just late?

the corps regiments have very dark blue berets as opposed to the black of the infantry regiments

The guy that said Infantry very dark blue was nearer the mark. Some Very Dark Blue berets have Lincoln Green backgrounds - Worcestershire and Sherwood Forester Regt (wonder why I came up with that one first), Royal Regt of Wales, Drunk & Disorderly Devon and Dorsets to name but three.  

Royal Tank Regiment have Black Berets, don't know whether Engineers, Signals, Logistics are very dark blue or black.

I've also seen a Welsh Regiment with a dark brown beret (anyone?) Then there are the Scot Regiments with their party hats (no offence Stu, but how many ways are there of wearing a Tam O Shanta [excuse spelling])

I could never hit sh*t with the SLR but have that granpa-like affection for it.

Burst length - if you do limit the GPMG, can you:
1 limit it to 10 rounds (burst for opportunity targets)
2 Make the group size go to barn door size after 5 rounds?

Vade - nice site, but the Royal Marines didn't patrol Pristina with Minimi's - 45 didn't take them and GPMG's weren't allowed either - apparently effective support weapons are too 'aggressive' for promoting a safe and secure enviroment for the people of Kosovo

The RM beret badge looks a little small on the berets.

Don't do a bigger bergen - you might see running and shooting with a day sack, but breaking contact with bergens contravenes human rights! The models in OFP are fighting troops and doctrine over most of the planet is to dump non essential kit before committing to the assault, never mind in the brit army.

[/trainspotting]
The models look good can't wait to put them with Delilt's Land Rover.

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #100 on: 29 Nov 2002, 11:19:34 »
Well I definatly know that the Royal Engineers wear Dark Blue Berets, not sure about the logistics and Signals. I'll check them.
Also would anyone believe me if I said the SAS have been using the Heckler & Koch G36 rifles? I've heard from a source somewhere that they've started using the G36 in Afghanistan.

Marsuitor

« Reply #101 on: 29 Nov 2002, 13:17:51 »
The standard SAS weapon now is the Diemaco C8, which took over the M16/M203 some 7-8 months ago. I know the C8 was in use in Afghanistan, but they might have had the G36 for limited trial since all the noise around the SA80 early in the campaign got the MoD looking at the G36 for a "possible" replacement. But this is just speculation from my part. Do you have a picture or a link to this source?

MMB
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2002, 14:13:30 by Marsuitor »

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #102 on: 29 Nov 2002, 15:27:33 »
Well it is from what I've heard, but if they are gonna start using it I wouldn't be suprised. It's VERY reliable (what would expect from Heckler and Koch), H&K claim that they've got a G36 that has fired 25'000 rounds without a single stoppage and without cleaning. Also the G36 has got a huge lineup of varients like the MP5, these include

- G36 (Assault Rifle)
- G36E (Export* Assault Rifle)
- G36K (Carbine)
- G36KE (Export* Carbine)
- LMG36
- G36C (Compact Rifle)
- AG36 (Grenade Laucnher that can be clipped under the G36, G36E, G36K, G36KE, and even the Diemaco rifles!)
and possiblely many more.

Here's the link I heard the rumour from.

http://sasrogues.bravepages.com/hkg36k.html

* The Export versions have a 1.5X scope instead of the 3.5X scope, these versions are used in countrys other then Germany.

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2002, 15:31:43 by screamingeagle_101 »

Lucknow

« Reply #103 on: 29 Nov 2002, 18:39:49 »
Before doing this, we'd like to hear the communities opinion on the matter. Do you agree, not agree (and why)? And do you have any suggestions as to how we can overcome this problem (we have already tried a lot of different approaches without much luck)?

Absolutely use a burst mode with the section MG!

If you want realism you have to do this because as you say the AI will not fire the MG properly.

With no burst mode if soldiers are high skill they fire full auto and don't compensate for recoil  - so 99% rounds go overhead. Also they won't release the trigger until they hit the target (which is hardly ever 'cos the recoil is making most rounds miss) so they burn a full magazine box (not to mention their barrel!). Perversely, low skilled soldiers will 'snipe' (due to the 'aiRateOfFire' command) and actually be more effective at using the MG.

It really comes down to what you consider realism. I want the AI to use a section MG properly and consider this realism. Others will object to a burst mode being unrealistic despite the AI machinegunner being worst than useless ingame.

So go with the burst modes. In fact in MGs I've tweaked for myself I use three modes...

Fullauto - for player
Short burst (4 rounds) - for AI at targets below 150m
Long Bursts (8 rounds) - for AI at targets over 150m

I find this sounds better ingame (having a single burst mode gets repetitive!). You'll need to play about with trigger timings to get the AI working nicely  - if I remember I use 'aiRateOfFire=7' for the short burst and '=6' for the long burst.

DeLiltMon

« Reply #104 on: 30 Nov 2002, 01:07:29 »

new weapon model - *ahem* Experimental texture.

my first texture are y'all proud of me ;-) (sorry its a bit dark)

Looking good!  8) Something looks strangely familiar in the background too  ;) ;D
I'd rather have the AI use the weapon effectively than 100% accurate so go for the burst option.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2002, 01:10:28 by DeLiltMon »