Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Project : UK Forces  (Read 58423 times)

Bibmi

Re:Project : UK Forces
« Reply #120 on: 13 Dec 2002, 16:25:09 »
Yup...that's the plan...Unfortunately I'm leaving for a month long vacation on Sunday...and wont be able to work on the addons...but when I come back I'll be at it like a crazed man trying to get all of these units done...the RMs are 99.9% complete...and will serve as a base for all the other units so hopefully the Paras and RAFreg won't take too long to finish...then its the regular infantry, using the first three addons and a base and finally the SAS and SBS...

I'm hoping to do a number of models for them...including the famous Embassy Seige CQB gear... ;)

suchey

« Reply #121 on: 13 Dec 2002, 17:26:26 »
This is probably a long shot, but any chance of getting the Roayal Marines out as a sort of teaser before you leave for a month  ;D

Stu35

« Reply #122 on: 13 Dec 2002, 17:41:58 »
I have no Idea why us "Yanks" call American "Football", Football, and real Football Soccer, makes no sence, but that's America for ya  

to stray off topic once more (i am so so so sorry) - i could give you a history lesson dating back to medieval times, and, i will - you see it all dates back to medieval times, when football was basically a game where you would try to kick a ball through the town hall door, while the rest of the village tried to stop you, it is unclear what the rules are, probably because there werent any.

later some decided to make some rules for it, others did not like these rules, and some decided they wanted rules but not these ones - so we wound up with many different games of 2 main kinds - the kind where you could carry it with your hands, and the kind where you could not...

skipping on a few hundred years and you get some 18th century versions of rugby union, rugby league and association football (and the aussies were probably playing their wonderful mix of the 3 as well, i dunno), now im not sure, but from what i gather from American Football, it seems that it developed from Rugby League, but because it was not developed WITH the british government - what with the lack of communication and convicts being sent an all, it developed into a widly different game, while the rest of the British Empire was recieving these new ways of playing because of the soldiers and convicts being sent.

Now the early versions of American Football MAY have resembled rugby in some way, and from what i have found out it seems an American president didnt like the number of deaths that were incurring so a load of rules such as "clipping"(?) were made.

to cut the story short - i dont really know why, but that was a pretty damn convincing guess wouldnt you agree?

Now, allow me to stray BACK on topic and join suchey in attempting to hit a flies bollocks at 5000 yards - any chance at all mate?

Bibmi

« Reply #123 on: 13 Dec 2002, 18:58:21 »
Well you never know...Santa may come a calling  ;)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #124 on: 13 Dec 2002, 19:36:29 »
i could give you a history lesson dating back to medieval times, and, i will - you see it all dates back to medieval times, when football was basically a game where you would try to kick a ball through the town hall door, while the rest of the village tried to stop you, it is unclear what the rules are, probably because there werent any.

correct - basically the current game played in the street with an inflated pigs bladder - had goals etc.

later some decided to make some rules for it, others did not like these rules, and some decided they wanted rules but not these ones - so we wound up with many different games of 2 main kinds - the kind where you could carry it with your hands, and the kind where you could not...

incorrect - rugby was invented much much later, when some geezer in Rugby (a town in england) decided to pick the ball up and run to the end of the pitch... hence rugby was invented.

American Footie - America was once a English colony - we gave them footie and rugby - they gave us their version.

Aussie Rules - Same again.

Now the early versions of American Football MAY have resembled rugby in some way, and from what i have found out it seems an American president didnt like the number of deaths that were incurring so a load of rules such as "clipping"(?) were made.

lol - kinda correct - the move is called spearing - involves the tackler going headfirst into the oponent (as in hits the guy with his head) - kinda used to break the tacklers neck, so it was banned.

hope that clears some things up - but Stu, u did a good job at guessing.

and Bib - my xmas will be VERY happy if i can play with Marines - The iranian embassy siege was a joke tho - first time the SAS had undertaken such an operation - and boy did they fuck it up, they slaughtered all the terroists (fair enuff i guess) but also set fire to the embassy and left one man hanging upside down on his abseil ropes, and i think a few of them must have got injured...

and things have changed since then - but since the SAS is such a secretive bunch i know that I or no1 here (or very unlikely) knows anything about all the equipment they use and why and what weapons etc - weve had many a flame war on these forums because people 'claimed' to know everthing about the SAS

put it this way - they will use what ever weapon they want and deem best for the mission - like in afghanistan they dressed up in local clothes and used ak74's - the US SF used desert camo and M4's.... its kinda cool lookin at this film of the prison siege near Kabul - the brits kicked ass  ;)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

TMulhall44

« Reply #125 on: 13 Dec 2002, 20:02:19 »
Bibmi, your bootnecks are the mutt's nuts! I'm looking forward to lots of editing in 'death by green lid'!!
Only one question:
Do you know where to get an SA 80 addon without the permanent, and very annoying muzzle flash?
Keep up the good work.

ZIKAN

« Reply #126 on: 13 Dec 2002, 20:07:49 »

I kind of disagree with you there bud. The storming of the Irianian Embassy wasnt a joke, and it wasnt a fuck up. Sure they got a guy  tangled up in the ropes and they set fire to some stuff  :P But it was an overwhelming success. Considering these techniques were fairly new and being developed at the time, they were after all the founders of special operations like this, I think they pulled it off 100%.

TMulhall44

« Reply #127 on: 13 Dec 2002, 20:16:38 »
Zikan,
I'm biased, but the SAS didn't pioneer the anti terrorist role. The credit in the UK belongs to the SBS, and their maritime ancestors. One of the driving forces behind the CT role was the increased popularity of cruise liners, and the proliferation of oil rigs. Kudos to the MOD (not often I'll say that) for spotting the potential threat.

Britboy

« Reply #128 on: 13 Dec 2002, 20:29:28 »
I thought the term soccer derived from 'association football', woth the soccer coming from the word association.

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #129 on: 13 Dec 2002, 22:46:05 »
but since the SAS is such a secretive bunch i know that I or no1 here (or very unlikely) knows anything about all the equipment they use and why and what weapons etc

Here Here. And while everyone likes to read tales of daring do by SAS and SBS (me included), remember that it will be declassified info. Which means that anything sensitive has been removed or changed...

Bibmi, please make my christmas with a bootneck (I never thought I'd say that - oh well, Jordan is an airhead anyway)

TMulhall44

« Reply #130 on: 13 Dec 2002, 22:50:21 »
Someone ask for a bootneck??!!
All I want is an SA80 addon for Bibmi's Royal with the permanent muzzle flash eliminated!!

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #131 on: 14 Dec 2002, 00:16:58 »
Who said that!?
Listen I reckon the SAS are the best anti terrorist group in the world. They get train everyday in the Killing house, one soldier who took part in the Embassy siege, said "the police would proberly get 400 rounds a year to fire off, we would get 400 rounds a morning!"

Whenever a hostage or terror incident arises in any country the SAS are possibly at the scene to advise or assist.

Messiah if you thought that the embassy siege was a complete f**k up. Then what about the 1980 Iranian hostage situation that US f**ked up, what about the 1972 Israeli hostage siuation Munich.
Need I go on?
The truth is there is no hostage siege that ends perfect. A perfect end to a hostage situation, would be one where the neogtiations work, so there are no deaths. No dead hostages. No dead terrorists.

I hope I've made a point to you people who say "the SAS are abso****inglutly s**t".      

Mr_Shady

« Reply #132 on: 14 Dec 2002, 00:19:31 »
Well, since I guess I'm definateky not going to get Charlotte Hatherley spread across on a fur rug this year, I'll have to settle for a few bootnecks too...

*shudders*

Maybe we're all spending too long on our PCs, wanting Marines for Christmas... I'm going to boot up that funny 'outside' thing for a bit and do some rocket jumping. Wish me luck...

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #133 on: 14 Dec 2002, 13:11:06 »
Messiah if you thought that the embassy siege was a complete f**k up. Then what about the 1980 Iranian hostage situation that US f**ked up, what about the 1972 Israeli hostage siuation Munich.
Need I go on?
The truth is there is no hostage siege that ends perfect. A perfect end to a hostage situation, would be one where the neogtiations work, so there are no deaths. No dead hostages. No dead terrorists.

and

I hope I've made a point to you people who say "the SAS are abso****inglutly s**t".

i dont think ive ever doubted that or said that....

what im saying is that for their first ever siege, the SAS didnt do overly well - i mean, setting fire to the damn embassy - and when did i say the sas are crap - im a brit and i'm proud of our soldiers.

as for giving other examples - always seems that US SF seem to crap things up - Mogadishu for instance?

and as for the perfect hostage siege - the only perfect one is no hostage siege  ;D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

screamingeagle_101

« Reply #134 on: 14 Dec 2002, 15:27:26 »
I never said that you thought they were crap. I was making a point to those that are thinking the SAS are s**t.