Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Still Using Wilbur? Well Ditch It!  (Read 4796 times)

Schoeler

Still Using Wilbur? Well Ditch It!
« on: 31 Oct 2002, 21:36:18 »
Dump Wilbur and go to downloads.com to get Geofrac 2000, it makes Wilbur look like a kids toy.  Geofrac has single pixel manipulation and a 3D mesh view of what is being painted on the 2D map.  This means you can see what your terrain will look like in the game while you are creating it!  Its like combining WRP edit with Wilbur,  Geofrav also has a whole range of Geology filters that you can apply to selected terrain sections of the map.  These include a noise generator for creating all those nice little dimples in the landscape you see in Nogova, a erosion filter to dig out river banks and erode mountain sides (no more manual eroding with the smooth tool), a terracing filter to create terraced hillsides, a tile filter to create human manipulated slopes like farm fields etc.., a glaciation filter to create glacier effects and much much more.  All of these are fully customizable by altering the setting of the filter tool.  You can create erosion effects simulating rock to mud, sharp erosive faces or smooth.  Also there is a customizable gradient for viewing the most minute terrain changes you make down to half a meter resolution.  Also a plateau tool for getting rid of unwanted contours.  It takes a little getting used to, but overall is much more user friendly than Wilbur and it doesn't have the memory problems associated with Wilbur that cause your map to suddenly get dumped.  Get this tool!  Its a must have for mapmakers.

Jakerod

Re:Still Using Wilbur? Well Ditch It!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2002, 23:05:58 »
And where can i find this tool?

Schoeler

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2002, 23:09:21 »
www.downloads.com  Do a search for Geofrac2000 and DL it.  I'll try and post a tutorial if enough people are interested. ;)

Aw hell, here's a direct link:

http://download.com.com/3000-2121-8446835.html?tag=lst-0-19
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2002, 23:12:28 by Schoeler »

Offline Viking

• Members
  • NORSOF
« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2002, 01:22:49 »
Hey, Schoeler!

A tut would be VERY appreciated!:)

Cheers,
Viking
VIKING
Modeller/Skinner/Coder
NORFOR

Schoeler

« Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2002, 02:45:32 »
I'll give you some basic pointers for getting started as it took me about four hours of messing around to get anything useful out of the tool.  Use the drawing screen in the upper left hand corner to do your map making.  Select the free hand selection tool (there are 3 available, circle, square and free hand) from the tool bar and draw a basic outline of your island.  

On the upper right are a series of icons, select the one that looks like a paint pallet and click on standard (no need for text).  Now set your brush to elevate and make it max diameter in size (200).  Click on the center of the map and a big white circle will appear within your hand drawn border.  Move the mouse around on the white spot and look at the Z-axis height reading in the lower left hand corner of the screen.  

Find a proper height assuming the black is at zero meters or sea level.  Now, if there are heights above the height you want select the "flatten" option from the paint menu and click right on the height you want until the entire map is a uniform height above sea level.  If the height you want is the highest on the map use the "plateau" option and set the heights to uniform in the same manner.

Now use the free hand selection tool to embellish little details on the map by drawing peninsulas or coves and bays.  Make sure it overlaps a painted section of the island and use "plateau" to make a peninsula or to expand the island (click on the painted section and it will fill in your selected area) or use "flatten" to make a bay by reducing the selected are to sea level (make sure the selected area overlaps a portion of the black and click on it!).

Now create a gradient for better viewing of details.  Do this by selecting the little colored balloon like option in the upper right hand corner.  The color menu will pop up.  Select "gradient" and either load a pre-made one or custom make your own.  If you make your own it takes a bit of experimenting but its not too hard.  Simply click on any part of the gradient between the top and bottom and a little flag will appear there (you can move the flag up and down along the gradient with your mouse and get a percentage reading for it).  Right click on the flag and select "change color".  A little spectrum will come up and you can select any color you want along it.  Click on "change" and the gradient will change to that color where you made the new flag.  I recommend a new color around every two percent point increase on the spectrum so you can see small changes in terrain heights on your map.  Now make sure there is no highlighted area selected on the map and from the top menu bar choose the "select" drop down menu and click on "select all".  Now on the gradient menu on the right hand side of the screen click on "apply to selected area" and then click on "create gradient" (I think thats what its called anyway).  Now right click on the name tag of the drawing surface (I can't remeber what its called, but its the gray box with text in it in the upper left of the draw screen) and select the "render color map" option.  Your map should now be in color!

Now use your free hand tool to outline an area for a mountain or hill and paint in the mountain within it by selecting the "elevate" option from the paint menu and filling in your selected area.  I recommend a brush setting of size 8 and a brush depth of 4 to 8 for doing this as it gives you more control.  You can use this to make lakes and river by highlighting the selected area with the free hand tool and painting in it with the "lower" option on the paint menu.  Pick a suitable depth and use the "flatten" option to make the entire highlighted are a uniform depth.

Keep your new mountain highlighted within the selection area and choose the tool on the upper right that looks like a pickaxe.  Select the "erode" option, customize the erode tool to your liking by using the slider bars and click on "apply filter".  Your mountain will now be eroded to a more natural look.

Now click on the little grid option in the upper right tool menu and select "planar".  Click on "create grid" and voila!  You've got a 3D view of your map and mountain to see what shape it will have in wrp edit.  You can use the manipulate tool from the top menu to move it around and see it from all angles.

Just keep messing around with everything to see what it does and you will soon see that this program beats the cr@p out of Wilbur!  I still use Wilbur to do fine adjustments on the map as it has a finer paintbrush setting for applying heights and you can apply layers down to 1 meter which you cant really do so well with Geofrac. Also I like Wilbur's smooth tool better for making final last minute adjustments to hills and mountains before I export the map to wrp edit.  I also use it to save the map as a lat/lon mesh.  Geofrac exports its files as a terragen file, so if you want to look at it in Wilbur, export is as a terragen and open it up as a terragen in Wilbur to have a look.

You can use the square selection tool to highlight and manipulate an area of one pixel in Geofrac whereas in Wilbur you can only alter a minimum of a 3X3 area.

I'll get going on a full tutorial when I finish my new Mekong delta map, hopefully by next weekend.

Have Fun! ;)
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2002, 03:08:27 by Schoeler »

PFC_Mike

« Reply #5 on: 02 Nov 2002, 17:01:09 »
How do I import this to OFP?

I am a total newb with WRPedit, etc.

Schoeler

« Reply #6 on: 03 Nov 2002, 01:22:45 »
Well, this program exports maps as a terragen file, so you can use wilbur to save it as a lat\lon mesh (text file) or I believe terragen can do that as well.  

Jakerod

« Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2002, 03:23:06 »
So we shouldnt ditch wilbur then? :) ;) :)
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2002, 03:28:35 by Jakerod »

Leone

« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2002, 06:10:50 »
Hehehehe@Jakerod

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #9 on: 03 Nov 2002, 14:03:57 »
Those wishing to use Geofrac should bear in mind that Geofrac is shareware and has to be registered after 30 days.

Wilbur on the other hand is free.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

dwolf

« Reply #10 on: 03 Nov 2002, 17:16:12 »
 An alternate method is to use a paint program to create a terrain.PSP or such gives you much better capabilities to create heightfields oir even using windows paint program will work.The trick is to create a heightfield by using grey shades.The lighter the shade the higher the elevation,black for water,white highest.Dark grey for beaches ,etc.You can import a bmp file of say a picture of a corvette the grey scale it to whatever heightfield you like.The way to process this is to use Terragen and a very fine plugin called Firmament.
http://mclusky.cjb.net/firmament/
This plugin will allow you to import to terragen bmp,DEM and other types of files.Highly recommended and its free.

Schoeler

« Reply #11 on: 07 Nov 2002, 01:02:49 »
  :-[  Well no, I suppose its good to keep around for converting file types, but I'm loathe to use it for anything else now.  ;D  When the hell is Visitor going to be released?

Leone

« Reply #12 on: 07 Nov 2002, 03:31:02 »
From what I understand (and don't quote me on this) they are working on the English version.....

Schoeler

« Reply #13 on: 07 Nov 2002, 23:35:11 »
Lets hope its an all in one program with a nice interface so we can stop mucking about with third party software. :)

_hammy_

« Reply #14 on: 08 Nov 2002, 05:29:22 »
im not ditching wilbur, I LOVE WILBUR!  :-*

* HAMMY proposes to wilbur