Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: how to create a Unit?  (Read 1312 times)

nacho279

how to create a Unit?
« on: 25 Jan 2006, 22:10:37 »
Hi im new at this, i want to create a new model unit .for example a new one with a different helmet or jacket. How can i make this? what program i ve to use? oxygen maybe?
I only find tuts about buildings and weapons and vehicles but nothing about units. HELP!! thanks!!

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
Re:how to create a Unit?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2006, 00:17:11 »
this question keeps popping up from time to time but the answer's always the same: there's no  tutorial on making infantry.

you definately need oxygen (o²) if you don't have a superior 3d programme such as 3dsmax or maya. blender is an open source alternative, but if you only model for ofp oxygen is enough. download it from the breathe page: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/breathe

from there i would also download the sample models. the pack contains one human model which you can take as a starting point.
other base models are hyakushiki's models which may be modified without his prior permission or offtimes john doe model (-> search BIS forum, don't have the links atm)

okey... when you have o² you need to know how to handle it. brsseb's tuto's are best for getting to know the essentials.

then you need textures... create them with an advanced graphics programme which is able to handle layers, such as photoshop, photopaint, etc. again there's an open source solution: the gimp (www.gimp.org). you
export your graphics to tga and convert them into .paa or .pac -- ofp's internal graphic formats (for more details on the formats search here)
i recomment feersum.endjin's paatool v1.1 to convert your .tgas.
and then you have to map them onto the model... planar mapping might be enough for parts of the chest, but for the arms you need gizmo mapping to wrap the texture around an arm or leg... search the editors' depot for a tuto on this.

last but not least: lowland warriors have a translation for all czech selection names an infantry model has. it's on their site under tutorials. (llw.the-dropzone.net)
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

nacho279

Re:how to create a Unit?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2006, 15:03:39 »
THANKS FOR ALL DUDE!! :)