Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Where can i find grass?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Coot

• Members
Where can i find grass?
« on: 19 Jan 2006, 17:27:43 »
Could someone point me where to find grass addons?  I know i've heard of them but don't know what or who they are made by.  Also, do they really help with concealment?  Thanks.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re:Where can i find grass?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2006, 02:25:30 »
Editor103

contains as much grass as is available in the official bis engine. In fact, they're even called grass_xyz in the pc editor !

As for unofficial addons, do a search for uwar_grass.

another interesting one is HK_Hemp.pbo you can guess it's contents.

Or, go grab the @farmlands mod which contains a very large selection of vegetable matter  :D

In general, there are two types of 'grass'. Solid, and walkthru. The solid stuff can't be walked thru and stops bullets, generally associated with trees and bushes (grass by another name in ofp), walktrhu stuff has an 'undocumented feature', while you cannot see thru it, the enemy can!
Just say no to bugz

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2006, 05:23:22 »
@UnDocumented Feature.

Mikero, you remember Abandoned Armies, laying still for almost half an hour in a bush (a walk-through bush), un noticed by anyone until you start firing your last 3 m16 mags at the two or three survivors after detonating the satchels and.... ok, enough abandoned armies talk  ::)

Point is, the standard BIS bushes are concealment not cover, as it says in the manual, and as it works in game. You can run through a bush, and you can also hide in the bush. So i'm a little confused, why doesn't grass give you any concealment.
I'm certain the concealment variable is an integar or float rather than a bool, because at different positions in the bush their is a different liklihood (sp?) of
being spotted, as I lerned in Abandoned Armies.

PS: Nice topic title btw  :P

Uldics

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2006, 16:44:34 »
I think there is a certain distance from the vertical axe of a tree, inside which you are invisible to AI. Some bushes and trees has it, some don't.

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2006, 22:42:50 »
at first when i read the topic title, i did think about HK's Hemp addon.

anyway, uwar's grass is pretty cool, i've seen it in some 'Nam missions. i don't know if it offers any/much cover from AI.

while I'm on the topic of weed and Nam missions, does anyone know if it's possible to make the player and AI "get high"?  ;)
Cymbaline

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2006, 04:44:02 »
>uwar's grass is pretty cool,

someone (probably you!) in a mission a long time ago, in a galaxy far away revamped Malden using uwar grass and the effect was a good one. While it was a fairly easy thing to do, over-riding the official names with uwar and hence getting the new models, the overall effect was similar to some of the very very excellent eye candy in @farmlands.

I doubt the intent was to protect, or un-hide the player, (which is the 2nd part of @Coot's question) just provide a little more cover to slither trhu. Pity that #@*_*$#@_ Thobson didn't use it in Abandoned Armies, I would have survived longer 8)

>make the player and AI "get high"?

well this is off topic and I wont mind if a moderator slaps me,  but yes, there is. Umm errr, there's a few missions out there which use 'experimental pill' as part of the action menu. Forget the names of course, but any1 who's played them would know what I mean i think. It's a modification of SlowMo, that @MrN has used for other purposes in his CatAfgan missions.
Just say no to bugz