Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Question: UV Unwrapping in O2  (Read 1965 times)

VUSN042

Question: UV Unwrapping in O2
« on: 15 Jan 2006, 08:53:53 »
Hi peoples!

Can anyone point me to a resouce that explains how to use O2's UV unrwap tool?  Sorry if this is already covered on the forum, I did try searching, but without result.

Thanks in advance.

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
Re:Question: UV Unwrapping in O2
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2006, 17:08:56 »
you mean the gizmo tool, right?
well, search the editors' depot, you'll find two tutorials, one on cylindrical gizmo mapping and one on spherical gizmo mapping.

if you don't understand any details, or get stuck at a certain point - just ask :)

ah, what the... you needn't search, here you go ;D  
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2006, 17:11:15 by remcen »
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

LoTekK

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2006, 07:31:17 »
I don't think he's referring to the Gizmo mapping aspects. Under the "Surfaces" menu is an option "Unwrap", but I've never been able to figure out just what that does.

VUSN042

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2006, 13:19:53 »
Thanks remcen,

but LoTekK is right, I wasn't talking about the Gizmo tool.  My error, I didn't explain very well, but thanks anyway. I've tried and tried, but can't seem to make the unwrap tool do anything much at all. Was hoping someone else might have known how to use it.  Guess I'll have to convert models to gmax to get a working unwrapper... was hoping to avoid that whole process.

Thanks again anyway.

cheers,

-pip

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2006, 15:22:35 »
Isn't the unwrap tool used to unwrap a texture that was wrapped on through Gizmo mapping?  If the texture you are trying to unwrap wasn't applied through Gizmo wrapping, then wouldn't that explain why it seems to do nothing?

Try Gizmo wrapping a texture around an object, then see what the unwrap tool does.

-Pilot

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2006, 18:27:10 »
never bothered about that tool actually...

ok, just had a quick test: it adjusts the area of the texture used to map the faces, that's all.

so.. i guess you use it if you haven't properly gizmo-mapped some faces and want to "finetune" that afterwards cos when you gizmo-mapped some faces you can't simply hit "background form face" and shift the texture around anew , like for planar mapping.

hey, learnt a bit more again :)

VUSN042

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2006, 11:56:15 »
Hmmm...  Obviously I must be doing something wrong, 'cos yes the texture is Gizmo wrapped but using unwrap does nothing at all for me that I can tell :(

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2006, 14:23:02 »
it's different if the whole texture is wrapped around the object or only a part of it. i guess that your texture is completely gizmo-mapped, right? then only the seam, where the two end meet, should move.

try a object, like the streetlamp from the res bridge, and you'll see that, when you change te offset in the unwrap window, the whole texture is moved. you'll see parts of the asphalt at the lamp, etc. cos the lamp is only one part of the big bridge texture.

btw. has anyone figured out what the "weight"boxes in the unwrap toolbox are about?

VUSN042

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2006, 13:31:07 »
Ahhhh, I see...  okay, no wonder I couldn't figure it out.  Looks like I'll have to convert to gmax after all.  

Thanks.

-pip