Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: DEM files where?  (Read 2012 times)

hiddenfox

DEM files where?
« on: 23 Aug 2002, 02:11:10 »
i cant seem to find any free DEM files. anyone have good sites?

i found a couple sites but they were all pay sites. one even wanted $599.00 for an afganistan map

Jakerod

Re:DEM files where?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2002, 02:37:24 »
http://www.ciahome.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=DEMlinks
Try that it should work....i havent gone to the links so i dont know but im hoping it will help u.

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Re:DEM files where?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2002, 08:29:38 »
Just to let you know ive been for the last few days checking out the whole dem thing here is some info for ya the dems you should use are 30m dem and not 30" dems to use i have not found any 30m dem's for other countrys other than the united states, you can get 30" dems for other countrys but they do not have enough points of refrence to make a map out of for ofp. 30" dems are also call 1km dems so make sure they say 30m dem.  I found some 10m dems of the united states which mean that they provide more data than 30m but too much for ofp. this is the best site that i found for free united states 30m dems www.gisdatadepot.com/dem/demdownload.html.  Just click on the state and choose the county and then the place click on digital elevation models dem 24k choose your area and then click the green square to dl the normal download make sure you choose a area that has 2 listings like boston east and boston west because you need enough area to make your map with the files will be extension tar.gz just use winzip or whatever and unzip them into their own directory like bostone directory and bostonw directory then you have to use a program to merge the individual files included in the tar.gz which will make one picture then do the same thing with the other half.  here is the info on what you need and how to figure it all out.. www.ofp-ojr.info/wrp.html
good luck its alot of work..