Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Where to get a good muzzle flash?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Wildebeest

• Contributing Member
  • The time the wildebeest ruled the Earth.
Where to get a good muzzle flash?
« on: 06 Nov 2005, 12:01:57 »
Hi!

I'm making a weapon and I want to use the muzzle flash of the AK47 in OFP for it. Problem is I can't find muzzle flashes anywhere. I suppose other addon makers often use BIS original flashes? If that is the case, how do they load these texture files into Oxygen? I've read lots of tutorials and in brsseb's weapon tutorial  you can download a muzzle flash that I suppose has been made by him.

When I get the muzzle flash file I would like to modify it a bit, since my weapon has a rather strange flash. It's a 1928 tommy gun.

I would like the AK47 flash as a basis for mine.

And another thing. Does the BIS weapons use different muzzle flashes for every time you fire, or is it always the same one? I've watched a weapon closely as it was fired and I think it looks like the flash changes a bit between every shot.

[edit] I've found the muzzle flashes in "RES\Dta\Data.pbo" and I know now that the weapons switches between three different flashes. I would like to do this for my weapon.

Help, plz. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2005, 12:23:12 by Wildebeest »
Weeee...

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Where to get a good muzzle flash?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2005, 15:53:56 »
You can get the AK47 flash from the ak_47_proxy.p3d, naturally, where else would it be?

Each weapon model has the muzzle flash as part of the model.

Planck
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2005, 15:55:24 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2005, 01:29:37 »
you found the flash textures? ok, you may have noticed that they form a kind of a sequence (zasleh_front.01.paa to .03.paa, same for zasleh_side). now all you need is some different textures for the same flash and name the textures xyz.01.paa, xyz.02.paa, etc. you only need to map the muzzle flash with one of those textures; the game engine detects the other ones automatically (given they are in the same folder as the one used to map the muzzle flash ;) ).

model-wise in o² you have to name the muzzle flash "zasleh" and the rest of the weapon "zbran", that's all the game engine needs to know.

3rd thing you need is a section in the config reading
Code: [Select]
class CfgModels
{
   class default {};
   class weapon: default {};
   class name_of_model: weapon {};

};

there's a tuto by brsseb about making guns for ofp, it's worth a look if you don't know it yet ;)  www.ofp.info/brsseb
or search the editors' depot, they have it there too
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

Offline Wildebeest

• Contributing Member
  • The time the wildebeest ruled the Earth.
« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2005, 10:05:35 »
Thanks. That's what I thought. I can't seem to get my own muzzle flashes to be properly transperant though. You can see the background through them when you're watching one flash behind the other. Oh, well. Thanks again. :)
Weeee...

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2005, 14:21:48 »
that's the inevitable .paa bug - not fixable regarding objects behind it unfortunately
however if parts of your weapon (i.e. of the same object as the flash) disappear behind the flash, then select the muzzle flash and hit "move top" in the 'Face'-menu.
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD