Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Refueling Tanker  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Plane

• Members
  • You can call me my nickname "Plane"!
Refueling Tanker
« on: 06 Nov 2005, 04:36:19 »
Hi everybody! ;) It's hard to find a big plane in OFP. I've searched but maybe the rkt's An72 is the best. So I decide to make one by myself--KC-10A Extender ;D

This is the first time for me to make a plane using O2. So I need you help.
The problems are:
1. Can I make a complex animation. I will use this on the refueling tube. The tube goes down while the rudder of the tube goes down. And the rudder turns on the tube too.
2. Can I make two pairs of flaps, and both turns when "Flaps down"
3. How to use the "damaged" event. I want to make a fire on engine when it is hit.

I've upload a picture:
The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Offline Plane

• Members
Re:Refueling Tanker
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2005, 04:49:28 »
Here is another picture viewing from GNT_B52 refueling from my KC-10A:
The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:04:41 »
Im not certian exactly what you mean by complex animation, but I assume you mean having an animated part within a larger animated part, and if so, then no, its not possible.

As for the damaged eventhandler, it only works on infantry, there is no way to detect which parts of vehicles are hit, so its gonna have to be a random choice each time the plane takes a damaging hit.

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:55:12 »
Well, looks like I have to find out another way to make the boom rudder to animate. And you mean the damage event only return the hit part when it's a infantry unit, then what about the "Hit" event? ???

And how is my second question? Large cargo plane or bomber always has more than 2 pairs of flaps. Then can it be done in the OFP?  ???

Rockape

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2005, 11:07:27 »
Well, looks like I have to find out another way to make the boom rudder to animate. And you mean the damage event only return the hit part when it's a infantry unit, then what about the "Hit" event? ???

And how is my second question? Large cargo plane or bomber always has more than 2 pairs of flaps. Then can it be done in the OFP?  ???

Compound animations cant be done but you can cheap abit and use setobjecttexure and some crafty scripting.

Animate the boom to the down position. Have the extending part hidden and not part of the main boom selection.  Script it so when the main boom has finished moving it draws the extending boom. and animate that so that it extends.  Reverse the process to retract it.

Hopefully that should make some sense to you.

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2005, 08:32:16 »
Well, that's a good idea, thanks Rockape! ;)

SandVoss

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2005, 14:56:41 »
Pretty awsome idea mate.  :D Does the refuelling work well? AI planes tend to avoid each other, so even if you fly near an AI flown-plane as a human pilot, the AI tends to try to avoid you, making it hard to refuel, in my experience.

calm_terror

« Reply #7 on: 03 Jan 2006, 01:44:15 »
well to avoid it the ai avasive action you and make a psdueo refueling you cna do an attatch script wher ehte plane that wants to be refueled attatches to the refuelign plane thne after a given time frame say 30 seconds the script ends and calls a "plane" setfuel 1 so it simulates being refueled.

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jan 2006, 19:57:53 »
I'm not an addon maker, just browsing atm.. but about damage areas. Take one guy with a LAW, make him the player, place one tank nearby. Fire from the front, the turret will be damaged. Fire low on the side, the tracks will be damaged. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this mean that tanks use damage areas?
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2006, 19:58:13 by XCess »

Offline Plane

• Members
Re: Refueling Tanker
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2006, 07:04:17 »
It's a long time since last post, now bin2 fix the crashing problem so i can continue.

As a matter of fact, AI won't refuel unless you script them to do it. When player refuels at the tanker, it won't try to avoid you. Now the extendable inner tube is done, just a matter of how to extend it? So this is my first question.

Then second problem is that I copy the Geometry LOD and rename its property to "Fire Geometry". But only when i shoot at the tail of the plane it's damaged, if i shoot at the front of middle of the fuselage the bullet or the rocket just go through it and nothing happened. The LOD should be ok, so what's the problem?

The last one is that I want the KC-10 can only refuel the western planes, so i add "side (vehicle player)==west" criterion to the useraction. But when a western pilot fly a eastern jet, it still can refuel at the tanker.

Can anyone help me? ???
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2006, 07:37:47 by Plane »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2006, 13:21:00 »
In regard to the last question.

If a west pilot flies an east plane.........the side of the plane becomes 'west'.

If player enters a vehicle, the player becomes the vehicle, so to speak.

(vehicle player) will be west if the player is on the west side, so, side (vehicle player)==west, will always be true.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2006, 13:49:39 »
Now the extendable inner tube is done, just a matter of how to extend it? So this is my first question.
I believe it could be done the same way as the openeable chopper doors etc.. Unless of course there's a limit for 'O2 anims' on a model...

Anyway, afaik it's a rotate anim with huge diameter so it looks like the object moving is moving straight although it is just moving on a very large circle..
Many chopper addons use this, of course what comes to mind first are the BAS choppers..

Then second problem is that I copy the Geometry LOD and rename its property to "Fire Geometry". But only when i shoot at the tail of the plane it's damaged, if i shoot at the front of middle of the fuselage the bullet or the rocket just go through it and nothing happened. The LOD should be ok, so what's the problem?
There is something odd with the fire geometry and geometry LODs as they can seem to be alright but won't work.. :P

You can try to remove the selection names that are something like Component01,Component02,...,ComponentN, then save the model and then select Structure -> Topology -> Find Components and save again..

I'm not a modeller so that might not work...
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

klavan

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2006, 13:56:32 »

OFP engine refuses to recognize complex structures when these are used in the fire geometry lod, the problem is that for OFP a "complex structure" means even a wall with a hole (eg a door). Remove such structures from your model in that paricular lod and replace 'em with more simpliest ones.
Klavan

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:11:59 »
So there's no solution to the last question ??? Maybe this is the damn OFP engine limit again. :(

But thanks guys, you offered me some useful info to the first to questions, once I get result, I'll reply!
Cheers! ;)

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:29:54 »
So there's no solution to the last question
The first solution that comes to mind would require input from the mission designer..

You would initialize a global array in the units init eventHandler, like
Code: [Select]
yourtag_eastPlanes = []Then in the missions init.sqs the mission designer would manually add the eastern planes used in the mission into that array, something like
Code: [Select]
yourtag_eastPlanes = yourtag_eastPlanes + [planename1,planename2,planename2,...,planenameN](of course the mission designer could also initialize the whole array if the init eventHandler gives grief..)

Then you would check in the userAction whether the unit trying to refuel is in that global array and if it is, don't give the action to it..

Or something like that..
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.