Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: cfg radio vs cfg sound  (Read 680 times)

Offline RangerX3X

• Members
  • Ranger, out.
    • RangerX3X
cfg radio vs cfg sound
« on: 14 Sep 2005, 14:35:14 »
Is there any difference playing your HQ radio messages by cfg radio and a stringtable.csv file vs cfg sound and placing the text in the trigger to display on screen?

I am having issues with the stringtable.csv actually showing the text on the screen.

Using all sounds (including the radio chatter) as cfg sound in the description and then using the trigger to signal the sound to play and display the text on screen works, but I would like to know if there are any known issues with this vs stringtable.

And the fact that I would just like to know the reason why BIS did it that way.
Ranger, out.

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
Re:cfg radio vs cfg sound
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2005, 15:54:43 »
CfgRadio is different to CfgSound.

It blends in with the squad radio system
- mic clicks are played at start and end of the sound
- it always displays the callsign of the speaking unit
- radio is always played in 0 distance to the player (dynamic range issues)

If you like, you can download and depbo my mission ZOS at the betatest board. You can have a look at it's working description.ext CfgRadio and stringtable.csv

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2005, 21:18:08 »
The difference would be in CfgRadio actualy coming over the radio, including the sounds (the fancy radio/mic noises) and that the player will hear them at the same volume no matter where he is. CfgSound depends on how you use it. If you use playsound, then the player will hear it nomatter where they are, but won't have the radio sounds. But why do you want to use sidechat along with the sound? The only reason I can think of is if you want to add a %1 thingy in your message, but in that case you're sound for it wouldn't match...  ???

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2005, 09:46:53 »
Both Cfgradio and Cfgsound will work using a stringtable.

The best way to make sure you've got it right is to de'PBO someone elses mission and have a look at their code.

You can also put your text straight into the .ext file without needing a stringtable... personally, I prefer a stringtable as it keeps all my text in one place, but it's up to you ;)

You can also have a 'blank' in the title, which means the sound (or radio call) will play without anything showing on the screen. Then you can use radiochat (or sidechat) if you want to display other text (using format command or something).

I often use that if I want to insert the player's name, but have a blank in the sound file ;)

Offline RangerX3X

• Members
  • Ranger, out.
    • RangerX3X
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2005, 17:41:19 »
Thanks for the responses everyone. I dpbo some missions as suggested and figured out what I was doing wrong.

I am using toadlifes custom HQ and airbase tut instead of the vanilla papa bear.

One of those milestone moments for me personally in creating a mission, having the HQ radio chatter work exactly like it is suppose to  ;)
Ranger, out.