Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Convention for Vehicle Class Names for Addons  (Read 1695 times)

Chomps

Convention for Vehicle Class Names for Addons
« on: 10 Oct 2002, 01:24:03 »
From the news post on the official forums concerning the new 1.85 patch: "Improved: Editor: Vehicle classes (Armored, Car, ...) are now fully dynamic. Any addon maker can now introduce his own classes."

This raises the question:

What should be the generally accepted convention for adding new vehicle class names with third-party addons?

This would be like the OFPEC convention of adding a three letter tag to the names of individual vehicles, except this may not be quite as necessary.  Nonetheless, a system would be nice to avoid addons from flooding the list with too many vehicle class names.  Also, it would be to keep people from putting certain characters in the front of the class name so it is always on top of the list.  Should the vehicle class name go by the author?  Should it go by the time period of the unit?

This would be my suggestion:

Authors who put out large packs like the 'Nam pack or the HK pack have a vehicle class that begins with x, like "x-NamPack".

Authors who put out several separate addons, name the vehicle class after themselves and put a y in front of it, for example:  "y-Chomps".

Authors who just want their addons beta tested and really do not want them to be included in missions yet can use "z-Beta".

In special cases, like Editor Addons, or island specific objects, perhaps a w beginning, like "w-EditorUpgrade".

Under those class names, cars, tanks, planes, etc. would be mixed together, since in most cases there will not be such a long list anyway.  If the list really is too long and has too much of a variety of units, then perhaps it can be split up like "x-NamPack_Men" and "x-NamPack_Air".

Well, you can probably tell that my suggestion is based on the assumption that you cannot have spaces, which propbably is not even true, but you get the idea.

Also, my suggestion probably is pretty lame, so someone come up with a better one.

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
Re:Convention for Vehicle Class Names for Addons
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2002, 11:45:57 »
thats a verry good point..Makes me wonder if they now allow us to make our own sides-classes...  ???

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2002, 12:01:47 »
I agree with you chomps, my men list in the editor is about 800 units long, and it's a nightmare trying to find the right unit...

I think it would be much better to use this naming convention, than to use the 3 letter tag, this naming convention also improves the in-game realism, by showing the soldier as "US Marine" instead of "CATUSMarine", which no offence to anyone, looks crap when you select them.

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2002, 14:27:26 »
LOL  :D

I couldnt agree more tho.  :tomato:

Chomps

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2002, 00:29:47 »
I agree with you chomps, my men list in the editor is about 800 units long, and it's a nightmare trying to find the right unit...

I think it would be much better to use this naming convention, than to use the 3 letter tag, this naming convention also improves the in-game realism, by showing the soldier as "US Marine" instead of "CATUSMarine", which no offence to anyone, looks crap when you select them.

Yes, I forgot to mention that.  I would much rather kill an NVA Soldier than an SEB NVA Soldier.

Offline DrStrangelove

• Members
  • Mr.Creative
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2002, 00:39:07 »
...but then, if you keep getting killed by SEB NVA Soldiers, you know where to complain to.  ;D

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2002, 13:46:02 »
lol  :beat:

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2002, 16:53:37 »

Oh  :o - it seems we're on track here, read THIS ONE  :o ;D

(sorry, I didn't read this thread before now!) ::)