Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: NEW TUTORIAL - Making your first weapon!  (Read 4839 times)

brsseb

Re:NEW TUTORIAL - Making your first weapon!
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2002, 01:02:46 »
Salutations!

Nice work brsseb!

Regarding the scale there are two methods I use to avoid problems:

In his tut brsseb shows us how to make a Stalker rifle. From the page he pointed us, we've learnt that the rifle is 1.08m long (42 3/4").

With this information in mind, my first step is to create a plane in front view with the X-size matching the lengh of the gun. (Create>Plane... Size X:1.08)

then load the bg texture, correct its aspect. Move two points of the plane to match height of the texture. Apply texture to the plane.

By doing this I create a modeling base "in scale". so every point created will be where it should. I can even save my file to continue later without the need to reload and reposition the texture.

and for the second method:

Let's say I didn't use the base plane and have a model in an unknown scale, as that one in the tut.

In front view I select the two most extreme points: one in the barrel tip and other in the the stock. Pressing Shift+E, a window with vertex properties will pop up. There I can see the X coordinate for the two points. Let's say -5.140 and 3.360. It means that this unknown scale rifle is 8.5m long (3.360-(-5.140)).

From the specs, I've learned that it should be 1.08m. Dividing 1.08m by 8.5m I find 0.127, my scale factor.

Once I have the factor, all I have to do is to select the entire model and scale its points 3D using the factor. (Points>Transform3D>Scale... using the factor 0.127)

After that the object will be in the right size.

good luck

té mais
Pako Ary

Xellent. Im out of words....just great. Your tip has been noted and will be in the tutorial update soon.

brsseb

SFG

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2002, 01:03:19 »
I'm working on the building tutorial right now. Might be done tonight or tommaro.

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2002, 05:09:00 »

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2002, 05:18:46 by trinec »

Gameer_77

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2002, 19:19:38 »
Brsseb, why is it that your textures come out the right colour, whereas mine come out with a lighter one?  ???

It really is annoying.  >:(

8)PEACE

brsseb

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2002, 19:27:40 »
Brsseb, why is it that your textures come out the right colour, whereas mine come out with a lighter one?  ???

It really is annoying.  >:(

8)PEACE

Instead of having O2 do TGA/GIF-to PAC/PAA conversions automatically, use TexView to convert yourself. Sometimes O2 chooses the wrong format, like PAA (which supports aplha channels) for a TGA. That can mess up a normal texture pretty much. I used to get lots of pink spots on my textures, especially when there was lots of white around the edges.

Gameer_77

« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2002, 21:00:04 »
Well, in another model im making, it's a .paa file and does the same thing. If it's to be a .pac file, then how do i use texview to change it? It always saves as .paa.

In 02 it looks normal, all the colours are the right brightness. It's bulldozer and OFP which make the textures lighter.

Thanks

P.S. When's the next tute comin'  :P

8)PEACE
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2002, 21:02:29 by Gameer_77 »

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2002, 22:39:15 »

[attachment deleted by admin]

brsseb

« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2002, 00:02:40 »
Well, in another model im making, it's a .paa file and does the same thing. If it's to be a .pac file, then how do i use texview to change it? It always saves as .paa.

Well to me all bad textures looks bad everywhere, o2, Bulldozer and OFP. And to use TexView to save in either pac or paa-format, just type the wanted file extension after the filename in the save dialog. Just like you have to put .pbo after every addon with the PBo tool to make it work.

But if you have nice textures in o2 but bad ones ingame, then Im not sure, sorry..

Gameer_77

« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2002, 00:08:03 »
Right, ill post on the official forums to see if they have an answer. Thanks anyways brsseb!  :)

8)PEACE

SFG

« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2002, 01:25:34 »
Finished my tutorial on making buildings. http://www.526th.com/tut.htm