Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AI shooting to objects. It's possible?  (Read 1279 times)

klavan

AI shooting to objects. It's possible?
« on: 09 Jul 2005, 14:59:17 »
I'm tryng to force an aircraft to attack a house via laser painting (using the BIS LD). The script runs well, as i'm using the snYpir LD tute, so I know the position and the type of the object that should be hit,  but I wonder if simply the AI is unable to hit such objects (house, trees, rocks, etc.) because that aircraft doesn't fire at it. Naturally, this problem doesn't occours if the target is an enemy (or even empty)  object,  like a tank.
I had attempt placing an empty object in the position returned by the LD, but if it's inside a building the AI still doesn't attack it.
In fact i remeber a BIS mission where you had to paint a bridge and then call for an air attack....I didn't complete that mission, never....
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Klavan

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:AI shooting to objects. It's possible?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2005, 15:09:40 »
try using the invisible targets addon and place one above the house. have the vehicle fire at the target, and when it registers as having been hit, manually destroy the building using setdamage.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2005, 15:41:17 »
you say you placed an enemy tank in the building but the chopper didnt fire
why not place an enemy tank in the building then use the reveal target command as they might not know about the chopper becuase its hidden in a house
thats just a thought if not then why not do target and do fire ?
if not then its probaly best to use the invisible addons

but one thing how did bis do it as the bridge is not an enemy nor is it friendly its an emty building so if you unpbo that mission have alook that might help a bit

klavan

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jul 2005, 15:45:55 »
try using the invisible targets addon and place one above the house. have the vehicle fire at the target, and when it registers as having been hit, manually destroy the building using setdamage.

Good idea, but what about if the player is allowed to call  for a single airstrike? Is the precision of such attack ensured?
My intention is to generate a classical  "surgical air strike" (one shot, one kill), in order to take out a precise target  (a man).  
This, combined with the high imprecise aircraft's handling by OFP's AI may make it useless, or worst, dangerous for the player and his mates...
Thaks
Klavan

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jul 2005, 15:51:42 »
from the invisible targets site -

LesILETA - Inv. Target laser east"
LesILWTA - Inv. Target laser west"
LesILGTA - Inv. Target laser guer"
LesILCTA - Inv. Target laser civ"
Similar to the "man"-targets with a higher armor and laser signature
Now the A10LGB know where to drop its bombs.

i assume that means yes, it will be accurate... only testing will show if that is the case ;)

as far as the bis mission goes, i believe they 'faked' it, by triggering the end cutscene when the bridge is designated, and then just blowing it up with some special effects. if i remember correctly, there was just the suggestion of planes flying in for an airstrike, then the bridge magically exploding. i may be wrong on that one...
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2005, 15:53:43 by bedges »

klavan

« Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 2005, 15:54:50 »
you say you placed an enemy tank in the building but the chopper didnt fire
why not place an enemy tank in the building then use the reveal target command as they might not know about the chopper becuase its hidden in a house
thats just a thought if not then why not do target and do fire ?
if not then its probaly best to use the invisible addons

but one thing how did bis do it as the bridge is not an enemy nor is it friendly its an emty building so if you unpbo that mission have alook that might help a bit

That's a really nice idea!
I never attempt with such command, it's time to learn...
I'll try.
About the BIS mission: i'm going to unpbo now, but every time i've played that mission i've always ended with a failure just because the A-10 doesn't attack that bridge, discharging it's ammos over opportunity targets. Assunimg that the target is passed the moment it's painted and (for example) a trigger is fired, there no reason why the aircraft doesn't attack it. However, I'll try.
Thanks.
Klavan

EDIT:
@bedges
I'm going to try it now.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2005, 15:58:52 by klavan »

klavan

« Reply #6 on: 09 Jul 2005, 16:22:19 »
Well.......nothing! :-\
The AI seems like it's not interested by......
Differents resulst may occours if using aircrafts intead of choppers or vice-versa on empty objects (vehicles) but no results with buildngs, even by using the reveal command and by placing an invtarget above it (anb by a combination of those)......
I begin to think it's time to take in consideration other possibilities.....
 :(

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul 2005, 16:54:24 »
works fine for me - see attached...

uses the invisible targets addon.

klavan

« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2005, 17:18:54 »
Yes, your example works fine. Take a look at the my attached file.
It's a modified test version of Snypir LD tute. Hit 0-0-1 only after the target is painted. It's a very rough script as it's only  a benchmark.
I'm going out now we will see tommorrow in the middle morning (my girlfriend claims for me)  ;)
Thanks.
Klavan
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2005, 17:19:22 by klavan »

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul 2005, 17:21:49 »
For airstrikes it is better to use SnYpirs SP/MP Support Package.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2005, 04:21:06 »
Depending on what you are trying to do, it all might be in OFP by default.

If the plane is supposed to drop bombs, then you just need to give the player an LD; group the plane into his squad; and then let him do all the work. It works damn-near perfectly, and the plane WILL drop it's bombs on the laser target, no matter where it is. You might also find this script helpful.

If you are trying to get a plane to shoot missles or its nose cannon, then you won't be able to use the LD. You will have to use an invisible target, and tell the plane to attack the target. Keep in mind that the targets can never be "hit", as they are invisible and have no physical shape--so munitions will pass right thru them. Nor can they be destroyed, even by nearby explosions.

HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

klavan

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2005, 13:10:33 »
Depending on what you are trying to do, it all might be in OFP by default.

If the plane is supposed to drop bombs, then you just need to give the player an LD; group the plane into his squad; and then let him do all the work. It works d**n-near perfectly, and the plane WILL drop it's bombs on the laser target, no matter where it is. You might also find this script helpful.

If you are trying to get a plane to shoot missles or its nose cannon, then you won't be able to use the LD. You will have to use an invisible target, and tell the plane to attack the target. Keep in mind that the targets can never be "hit", as they are invisible and have no physical shape--so munitions will pass right thru them. Nor can they be destroyed, even by nearby explosions.

Yes, the plane is supposed to use LGbs (no cannon or missiles). I've took a look at your script and works fine in the sample mission. Now I'm going to try to implement it in my mission.
Let's see....
Thanks.
Klavan

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm the next evolutionary step after a llama!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2005, 20:25:50 »
My apologies for getting slightly OT, but I have seen this misconception about invisible targets more than once recently:

Nor can they be destroyed, even by nearby explosions.

I am 99.9999999% sure that the the invisible targets can be destroyed. Put a hint on one and have a chopper attack it and watch to see if the damage increases.

I had a script that used these targets for a similar use (I did not try to attach them to a house, maybe I will tonight), but it was not working properly. I put a hint on the target to check the damage of the target and as a unit ran across an open area, the chopper attacked until the unit died (scripted action deleted target) or the invis target was destroyed.

I thought about resetting the damage value when it got to about .75 but just noted in the readme that the script will end if the target is destroyed.

Wadmann
Check out my Camouflage Collection! New items added 31 July 2005.

klavan

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2005, 12:58:07 »
@Wadmann
You're right, man. In the mission I've recently posted there's a similar script.
However, i've decide to make something different for my original pourpouses, combining snYpir LD script with an air support script (i don't remember the name at the moment), without the need to place invisible targets here and there. It works fine, even if it needs some improvemets.
Klavan