Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Visitor2light and Buldozer  (Read 3051 times)

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Visitor2light and Buldozer
« on: 15 May 2005, 20:58:34 »
From the looks of the forum this is probably a very dumb post.  I created a height Map and have an .ase file that I would like to add texture and features to.  But I cannot get Visitor and Buldozer to work with even the example .ase file and the other trhings that come wiht the downloads.   I have read and re-read the tutorials, searched the forums and contemplated my navel - but nothing seems to help.  Is there anyone out there who will help a 69 year old guy get started making maps for OFP?  

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Visitor2light and Buldozer
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2005, 21:14:09 »
I understand what you mean here, I myself have had difficulties with Visitor.
It seems to be temperamental at the very least.

Have you tried any of the other terrain editors.....WrpTool or WrpEdit?

You could also try the Breath Boards at the official forums:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi

If you still have no luck come back and we can see if we can get your island started somehow. ;D

Planck ;D
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2005, 22:29:15 »
Thanks for te reply I will try the other editors.  However, my Russian friend suggested using Visitor.  He has not been available for a while since he has school to deal with.  I understand that WRPtool is suppose to be easier but that Visitor is more powerful.

Again thanks and I will try the other methods.  

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2005, 22:41:52 »
OK, Good Luck

The Breathe Boards are for help with Visitor by the way, I forgot to mention that.  ::)

Planck

Offline surpher

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 20:41:24 »
Are you getting errors when you try to import the .ase data, or is it that you don't see your island after importing?

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2005, 04:09:00 »
Surpher:  My problem was old age and stupidity.  The map was always there but I just had not centered it.  But I am still having problems with Buldozer and Visitor.  I get Buldozer activiated with Visitor but it is still somewhat a black magic thing. When I do get to display the island I am working on all of objects appear as white geometric objects without the proper textures/surfaces.  It is like looking at the WRPEdit maps in View Geometry mode.  However, a couple of the bushes do display properly.  

Is there a way to change the view mode for buldozer with Visitor2?  
Also is there a file somewhere that describes what all of the objects in the pbo are?  Most of them appear to be in Czech of some sort of shorthand that I have not figured out yet.  I think I have the road names down and a few of the trees but that is all.

Offline surpher

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2005, 20:39:38 »
Sound to me like you haven't got Visitor setup properly. There's loads of help on the BI Forums relating to "White textures".

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=0fe191ec4cf5d4a7302226a86d63d455;act=SF;f=39

And I've posted some screenshots of my setup on this thread, it might help you out.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=f419fbc8d16f32c31fbaef27022b47c3;act=ST;f=39;t=46319

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2005, 22:24:49 »
Surpher:  Thanks a lot!!  Uou have given the old man lots to work on.  I really do appreciate you taking the time to help.  

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2005, 18:58:38 »
Well I am still not getting any where with Visitor and Buldozer.  I had it somewhat working and now I apparently have it messed up beyond belief! (To paraphase an old WWII expression.)  I have a nice 256x256 .ase file and I wonder if there is a way to get that converted into something WRPEdit would accept since I seem to have that program working OK.  I am sure my problems with Visitor are all related to the system preferences or other configuration errors.  But when I go to add more textures the Select function will not display any .paa files even thought they are present.  Any help wll be appreciated - including I need find a smart 18 year old to figure out my problem!  

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2005, 19:10:08 »
IF you email your file to me, I'll see what I can do.

Make sure you include any custom textures you have used and zip it all together.

mcnicoll7@yahoo.com

Planck

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2005, 20:58:09 »
Thanks.  I will zip both the raw .ase file and the modified .pew file from visitor.  

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2005, 20:07:40 »
Not having a great deal of success yet, but will keep trying.

Have you tried downloading the Visitor 2 Tutorial from:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/breathe/index.html

If you have already read it, read it again, it shows you how to set Visitor up and also is a basic tutorial.

Planck

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jun 2005, 21:55:48 »
I have read the tutorial, and I have re-read it about 6 times.  I had Visitor and Bulsozer working together aomewhat for a while (the textures would not display properly in Buldozer) but then I must have have changed something and now they don't work together at all.  I am ready to attempt that I am the dummest old guy on the block.  With over 40 years of computer experience it shouldn't be this tough.  At this point I think I will clean out all of the stuff I have downloaded and download everything again and start at the beginning of the tutorial.  I do appreciate your help.  I now purpose to get this working, regardless of  how long it takes me.  But I would still like to get my .ase file into something that WRPEdit will import.  

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jun 2005, 21:58:22 »
But I would still like to get my .ase file into something that WRPEdit will import.

I'm working on it.    ::) ::)

Planck

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jun 2005, 22:10:33 »
Ok.......I have it in WrpEdit now.

I will tidy it up a bit set the flags, give it your tv.paa grass texture.....etc etc.

I will email it to you when it is done.

;D ;D

Planck

Offline MajorGrunt

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jun 2005, 22:34:34 »
Thanks.   :) :)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jun 2005, 22:50:07 »
Ok.......you have mail.

Planck