Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Player cannot target Invisible IR/Armor target!  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
Player cannot target Invisible IR/Armor target!
« on: 11 May 2005, 07:35:54 »
I am playing around with the invisible targets and I have found that although the AI can target and lock on invisible IR and armor targets, the player cannot!

Just for fun I map place various other objects to see what I could lock on with the stinger AA launcher and to my surprise it will lock onto a camp fire!  So I was thinking, maybe the invisible targets could be improved by configuring (at least the IR targets) similarilly to the camp fire.  The only problem is that I do not know how to relate the class to the camp fire.  Does anyone know how one can examine the BIS camp fire config?  If I could look at it, it might help me make an improved version of Lester's invisible targets.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:Player cannot target Invisible IR/Armor target!
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2005, 10:59:21 »
The campfire config is found in the game's main config. You can download that off BIS's breath site (sorry, I don't have a link ATM).

If you are planning on making an updated version of Lesters Invisible targets addon, please let me in on it, because I was planning on doing the same thing. We must have different ideas on what should be added, so why not work together and make one great update?
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2005, 15:55:33 »
Here's a link to the Breathe! site:
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/breathe/

:)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2005, 18:50:52 »
The campfire is configured under NonStrategic in the cfgVehicles section.

Code: [Select]
class Static: All
class Building: Static
class NonStrategic:Building
class Fire:NonStrategic
   {
      scope=2;
      simulation="fire";
      sound="Fire";
      vehicleClass="Objects";
      icon="Unknown_object";
      model="ohniste";
      displayName="$STR_DN_FIRE";
      accuracy=0.2;
      typicalCargo[]={};
      mapSize=1.2;
      cost=0;
      armor=20;

class Smoke
      {
         interval=0.01;
         cloudletDuration=0.9;
         cloudletAnimPeriod=1.0;
         cloudletSize=0.1;
         cloudletAlpha=0.8;
         cloudletGrowUp=0.4;
         cloudletFadeIn=0.0;
         cloudletFadeOut=5.0;
         cloudletAccY=-0.1;
         cloudletMinYSpeed=0.3;
         cloudletMaxYSpeed=1.5;
         cloudletShape="cl_basic";
         cloudletColor[]={1,1,1,0};
         initT=1000;
         deltaT=-500;
         density=0.5;
         size=0.1;
         initYSpeed=1.7;
         timeToLive=1.00000002004088E+20;
         in=0.0;
         out=0.0;

class Table
         {
            class T1
            {
               maxT=0;
               color[]={0.8,0.8,0.8,1};
            };

class T2
            {
               maxT=900;
               color[]={0.3,0.3,0.3,1};
            };

class T3
            {
               maxT=1000;
               color[]={1,0.5,0,0.5};
            };
         };
      };

Hope that helps just a touch.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2005, 21:33:27 »
Plank,

Thanks, I will examine this more carefully when I get home from work.  My initial look at it shows nothing that would make the fire targetable with an AA weapon, so it is even more curious to me now!

Gen. Barron,

For sure yes, lets work together on that.  I have already made a beta version that is invisible on the map (map icons do not show up even though your group knows about the target(s)).  Ideally it would be good to have both map visibe and map invisible versions.  Also, it would be nice if the map visible versions showed the correct type (plane or helo icon for air/IR, armor or car icon for armor, and man icon for men).  I was also hoping that it could be made so that when they hit the invisible target they report killing the correct type, presently they say "building is history" even though you pasted an IR target on a plane, or in my case a scud missile. ;D

Along with this I have made a "dead body marker invisible target" that helps AI "see" dead bodies.  Presently the knowsAbout is pretty unreliable for dead bodies that are not in the AI unit's group.  Using the dead body markers along with some scripts related to and compatible with your info share scripts, I am able to make the AI "discover" and react to dead bodies.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2005, 21:48:04 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2005, 22:56:25 »
Ahaha! I had been thinking about the 'dead bodies' idea as well. My main beef though, is that the addon needs targets that the AI will shoot at on their own, but will be at the very lowest priority. Right now they are either the highest priority (so the AI ignores real enemies), or else they have no priority (and must be targetted via scripting).

I suppose the rest of that topic can be taken to email/pm, so I won't say anything more about it, unless hopefully others have some more ideas on what would be a good addition.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2005, 09:05:51 »
OK, I solved the problem!  The InvTarget p3d geometry LOD was so small that unless the player is right on top of the target it is nearly impossible to get the AA/AT cross hairs well enough aligned to get a lock.  Solution: I made the geometry LOD larger.

This still does not answer the curiosity of why the camp fire can be locked by the AA and AT launchers.