Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Trigger effects  (Read 565 times)

Uldics

Trigger effects
« on: 08 May 2005, 11:21:41 »
Many missions have an ending with a rotating camera around last destroyed unit, or as an example in CTI missions around the destroyed headquarter vehicle. In every trigger there is an EFFECTS button with some text and camera options. I managed to make that camera rotate. But it shows same position every time - my triggers position, even if I have grouped the trigger with mySuperunit.

How do I say to that camera - rotate around mySuperunit (which was an objective to destroy)?

Every tutorial says, you have to use scripts, nothing about the simple thing - triggers with effects. There has to be a way to access the camera by name or something.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2005, 11:41:59 by Uldics »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Re:Trigger effects
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2005, 11:46:42 »
i think you would have to use a script to set posthe trigger over the last destroyed vechile using an eventhandler i think that anyway i might be wrong
But i think a script is probly the easiest way is you want to use a trigger then you will probaly need some script to check what the last vechile alive was then target that vechile some how

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2005, 11:47:26 »
It is better to use scripts - but if you really want to use the trigger then try:

In the name field of the trigger put:  trigEnd
and in the activiation field put:

trigEnd setPos getPos mySuperunit

EDIT: beaten to it.  The Event Handler is another good way as well.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2005, 11:48:28 by THobson »

Uldics

« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2005, 11:48:27 »
No no, I know which vehicle to target with my camera, I just dont know how to pass those coordinates to this camera.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2005, 11:49:13 »
oh right then what THobson sais should be right

Uldics

« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2005, 11:56:27 »
That worked! Thanks THobson. Now I just need to adjust my camera, choose right angle with those TOP, BACK and so on things.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2005, 12:52:51 »
Uldics, you are discovering one of the truths of mission editing.   Making a cutscene using triggers is a nightmare.

Stop at once.   Never again, under any circumstances whatsover, use a trigger to make a camera.      It is MUCH quicker to use a script.   It is MUCH easier to use a script.   Scripts also give MUCH better results.    

I am famous for saying never use a script when trigger and waypoints will do better.   This is the exception that proves the rule.

You need two tutorials:  snYpir's Intro to Camera Scripting and messiah's camera.sqs tutorial.  You must read them both in that order.    

If you have already made 90% of your cutscene using triggers - delete  the lot and make it again using a script.  It will still be quicker than making the last 10% with triggers.   And it will be better.    And you will feel less frustrated.  Therefore the world will be a much better place.    If you use a trigger you will be decreasing the sum of human happiness, and I'm sure you don't want that on your conscience.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play