Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Object convert  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Plane

• Members
  • You can call me my nickname "Plane"!
Object convert
« on: 16 Mar 2005, 11:11:26 »
I have a modle with *.ms3d (MilkShape 3D format) and *.obj format. Is there a tool to convert them into p3d
I've already try to convert them to 3ds and import form Oxygen, but it said "No object in p3d format". ???

If anyone know about sth with my problem please help me!
The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

teaCup

Re:Object convert
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2005, 10:07:30 »
To be able to import anything in O2, it must be .3ds.
You can check if your .obj contains any polygons by opening it with a text editor. If you can find lines beginning with "v" and "f" (vertices and faces), then it's ok.
Maybe try exporting to .3ds with another aplication. I use "Deep Exploration" to convert geometry to .3ds, and it always does the trick.
If you want, i could even convert it for you. Just upload your .obj somewhere.

Cheers

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2005, 11:20:59 »
Thanks,I'll try it myself first!
 :cheers:
The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2005, 15:05:27 »
Thanks, this works! :cheers:

But another question, my texture in obj file is 24bit and "Deep Exploration" convet them to TGA format with 24 bit,but oxygen could not convert them to paa or pac files, where is the problem? ???

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2005, 20:44:36 »
Are the texture dimensions in powers of 2?  ....i.e.

and so on.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2005, 20:52:18 »
the tga file has to be a 32-bit file too ;)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2005, 21:51:02 »
Hmm.....I think it only needs to be 32 bit if it has an alpha channel.

24 bit + 8 bit alpha = 32 bit

I think it needs to be uncompressed as well.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2005, 08:52:29 »
Oh,yes. Thank you!
I've done it! ;D

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2005, 14:18:47 »
Just to add, if you have problems importing .3ds, I found .asc 99% of the time imported no bother. The biggest problem with this is it doesn't carry over textures, but for non-textured stuff or things not made in 3DSM (.3ds files exported from 3d studio max seem to import a lot more reliably than other programs)

It was the Half-Life models I got in LithUnwrap that if it saved them as .3ds O2 died when importing it, saving them as .asc O2 imported them no bother.

There's other ways of getting stuff from one program to another, that's just the way I done it for getting some HL models to OFP (A while ago)

Hmm, this reminds I still have that HL > O2 tutorial on my hosting..
- Ben

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2005, 05:43:33 »
But in HL, model texture sizes needn't to be power of 2
So I convert bmp texture to TGA pics with 24 bpp, then use Hyper-Snap to resize it to power of  2 and recolour to 32bpp, Finally convert it to PAA using "PAA tool"

So my problem is that wheather the imported p3d need to retexture or not...
 :joystick:Hope not to retexture because of so many faces in modle... :(

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2005, 17:10:49 »
If you can load it into 3D Studio Max with textures, you can save it as .3ds and it will import with textures to O2 :)
You double click the texture in the libary (Window > Texture Libary), right click on a window, and press E (I think, not got O2 on this PC), then you can change the texture path for all faces using the double-clicked texture

You use that if the import uses .jpg textures and you convert them to .paa, or you change the file name or PBO name etc
- Ben

Offline Plane

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2005, 14:52:34 »
Ok,Thanks guys!

Offline Lurchisme

• Members
  • I'm supposed to write something here, right?
« Reply #12 on: 05 Apr 2005, 08:07:44 »
I've had problems importing .3ds files into Oxygen also. I'm using Wings3d at the moment, and keep coming up with a 'Error: Missing KFDATA' or something very similar. Reading the above posts, it looks like I'll need another program to export it.

'Deep Exploration' sounds like it might work, but I did a quick search and it said it costs about $250. Does anyone know any freeware programs which convert files into .3ds files that Oxygen will accept? Thanks in advance.  
? (Newbiefactor == 1) && (Spammfactor == 1) : UserTroll = True; Player join objnull

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #13 on: 05 Apr 2005, 15:44:36 »
Use Anim8or (can't remeber exact spelling), there is a "Creat KFDATA" option on the menu somewhere. I got that error a fair ammount when going from random programs .3DS files to O2, I used .ASC to get around this. But Anim8or fixes that
- Ben

Offline Lurchisme

• Members
  • I'm supposed to write something here, right?
« Reply #14 on: 06 Apr 2005, 06:19:18 »
Cool. Thanks :) Got it on USB key, I'll test it once I get home
? (Newbiefactor == 1) && (Spammfactor == 1) : UserTroll = True; Player join objnull