Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Condition Field query  (Read 417 times)

AusZen

Condition Field query
« on: 24 Feb 2005, 13:47:31 »
Got a mission i'm making where your first objective is to steathily eliminate all russian resistance at a radio station.

Thing is, you gotta do it steathily, undetected by the russians by using silenced weapons. If they see ya, they raise the alarm and you fail this objective but you continue on with the mission. You've just lost the element of surprise..

First trigger is west detected by East, with activation being redsalerted=true.
Second trigger is an east not present, but i need to work out the condition field. i.e. this and redsalerted=false but the latter part is an error.

Any Help? ???

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Condition Field query
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2005, 13:51:05 »
it should be

this and not redsalerted

note that you should also set redsalerted = false at the start of the mission or the trigger will not fire.

PrejudiceSucks

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:01:16 »
Also, the NotPresent trigger is the tool of the devil.

Give them all naes like 'Sentry1' and make it so that instead of East NotPresent it's (not(alive Sentry1)) etc.

That way you don't have to search for ages just to get one bad guy. Also, if they walk off you will still have to kill them, you see?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:30:53 »
Hmm ... not present triggers can be a pain.    However, the problem with naming the loons and doing not alive is that if one of the loons flees he could be in a wood half a mile away.    You will never, ever find him.

Much better is to have a not present trigger drawn over a carefully chosen area.   (Sometimes you need more than one to get the right shape.)    The last few defending loons' behaviour should be controlled by the mission designer:   maybe they get ordered to flee, or joined into one group which is not allowed to flee, or whatever.    There are lots of things you can do.

The real trouble with not present triggers is that many mission designers are not sophisticated enough to use them correctly.    Often they are far too large for a start.    They should always be part of an "objective complete package" which includes waypoints and other triggers.

In this case, if the radio station is small, then a small not present trigger is probably fine:  the last loons will flee only if they have detected you so whether you kill them or not is irrelevant.   And if the area is small, finding the last enemy should not be a problem.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

PrejudiceSucks

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2005, 22:36:50 »
Yeah, I suppose. I just really don't like NotPresent triggers, especially in airports or even worse at sea / in a forest.

They are especially painful in the sea, as most boats can take a fairly good kicking from other boats.

And NotPresents in a forest just make me cry. A lot.

I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help it!