Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Huh!?  (Read 1148 times)

Bobcat

Huh!?
« on: 02 Oct 2002, 08:05:39 »
Hi guys,
Im trying to make a FN-MAG addon and so far it is going great!  But what do they mean when they want me to 'close the open space' between both sides of the m16 model in the 'How to Make a M16' tutorial?  I keep on trying to make faces out of both sides of my model and nothing happens.  I have this gap between both of the sides of my gun and I don't know how to fix it!  I will post screen shots when I get the chance.  I kind of gave up on it, deleted my model:noo:, and now Im restarting it because I found out OFPEC isn't dead :tomato:.  I kept on going to http://www.ofpeditingcenter.com and the link is dead.  I found you guys and now I am pure once again! LOL.  Please reply to this message, Im so close to finishing this model yet so far away!

Bobcat :wave:
:help:
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2002, 08:08:46 by Bobcat »

Offline PakoAry

• Members
Re:Huh!?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Oct 2002, 07:39:16 »
Salutations!

I keep on trying to make faces out of both sides of my model and nothing happens.  I have this gap between both of the sides of my gun and I don't know how to fix it!

BobCat,

Have you succeeded in creating 2 sides of the model or you have only the points, vertexes, so far?

Either way...

a- Create, as said in the tut, the points for side 1 of the top grip;
b- Select 3 or 4 of these points and press F6 to create one face/polygon;
c- Repeat step b until you have all the faces needed to make side 1 of the M16 top-grip;

It's a good thing to proceed in one direction creating faces, in a way that you connect the to-be-used points to the previously created face. This will maintain the same normal orientation and will aid to ‘remember' to create all the faces.

Now that you have one side of the top grip, even a paper thin side, you need to  make the other one… I assume you're curious enough and are checking your work in buldozer sporadically…

d- in side view, select all;
e- lock x axis and SHIFT+RMB drag the selection to the side (copy points);
f- press W to invert the normals orientation for the selection;
   note that the normals from one side must point away from the other.

See the difference from tut?

But, if this was where you were…

g- in front view, select two consecutive points on the edge;
   the info line bellow the screen will read 4 selected points because, as planned, we're selecting two points in the opposite side as well.

h- press F6 to create a face using these 4 points;
i- repeat steps g and h until you create all the faces to unite the two sides ("close it")

Remember that we'll see faces that  have normals pointing towards the camera…

Good luck
Té mais
PakoAry  

Bobcat

« Reply #2 on: 03 Oct 2002, 23:31:21 »
Got it! Thanks for putting it into simple terms! I will post a screenie when Im done! Thank you so much!  ;D

Bobcat

« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2002, 08:25:57 »

[attachment deleted by admin]