Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: COMPLETE Noob  (Read 634 times)

Offline penfolde

• Members
  • chaos, disorder and mayhem....my work is done!
COMPLETE Noob
« on: 21 Jan 2005, 14:43:36 »
Hello every1,

I'm a complete noob to mission creating and struggaling on the most basic thing.
I've st-up a triiger for a sniper to attack a guard post, the idea is when he has complete is role it activates a nuther unit to move to the next wp.
whats the best way?

And a quick question,  what language is the mission editor using, think of going to night school for this game?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:COMPLETE Noob
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 14:56:37 »
greetings! you've come to the right place - full of friendly helpful individuals, not to mention a host of very good tutorials dealing with just about everything that you could think of concerning flashpoint.

as for the language, flashpoint uses its own proprietary language for scripting, but from what i can tell the basics of most programming languages are still there - variables, loops, if/then decisions. it's just how you write them which is different. only by looking at other people's scripts and through trial and error will you learn.

i would suggest going to the editor's depot (link at the top of the page) and having a look at the 'getting started' tutorials. they're easy to read, cover all the basics and will have you mission-making in no time.

welcome once again, and happy hunting! :)

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 14:59:48 »
You need to synchronise the trigger and the waypoint from where the other unit starts moving after the trigger get's activated.

Read tutorials from the Editor's Depot.

And a quick question,  what language is the mission editor using, think of going to night school for this game?
:D

Bohemia Interactive Studio's 'mix-this-and-that' scripting language, best learnt in a Spanish/English class held everyday @ #ofpec Quakenet irc channel.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2005, 15:46:33 »
If you want scripting tutes to read the time honoured route is snYpir's A Friendly Intro to Code Snippets and Johan Gustafsson's Scripting Guide.      The Tutorial Mission has working examples of simple scripts "in the field" to help you understand how they integrate into the mission.      

Another good tip is to read the comref from start to finish, like a book.   Don't stop to understand every command, just get an idea of what's there.   There are various versions of the command reference available and my personal favourites are the online version, which has helpful Comments, and also the Unofficial comref.  It's a little old now but still useful.    

However, scripting is not required to make a decent mission - many missions in the BIS campaigns use little or no scripting.    Learn the basics - like triggers and waypoints - first.     Lots of good tutes in the Editors Depot - Getting Started.     You are strongly recommended to become familiar with all of the tutes in that section.    

Oh, and

Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2005, 15:47:01 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play