Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Bitmap to map  (Read 1438 times)

Swedish Chef

Bitmap to map
« on: 16 Jan 2005, 17:04:54 »
I have a grayscale bitmap, depicting a historical battlefield, that I wish to convert to a map editor, but I'm not familiar with the software and just can't seem to get it right. I'm using the bmp2ascii2ase (also tried BMPXYZ) but had no luck. What is strange is that I can't seem to get even the templates that come with bmp2ascii2ase to convert properly.

Converting to .txt doesn't produce any complaint, but proceeding to .ase gives this at the end of the operation:

"Data still remaining in the input file, possibly a higher size?"

??? At any rate, I can't seem to import the output.txt to WRPedit or output.ase to Visitor, the result is gibberish elevations and some kind of error message in both programs.

I don't quite understand what I might be doing wrong...

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Re:Bitmap to map
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2005, 18:10:58 »
I suggest you download Wilbur:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/wilbur.html

Use Wilbur to open the bitmap, then save the bitmap as the correct file.

Do you have WRPTool installed on your computer, or are you stictly using WRPEdit?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2005, 18:46:43 »
If you still can't get it working, post your BMP here and I will have a bash at it for you.

You will need to let me know what size this 'battlefield' is.

Otherwise I would assume 12.8 X 12.8 km.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Swedish Chef

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2005, 20:18:25 »
Thanks for the answers.

Something must really be rotten in the state of Denmark, as even Wilbur refuses to cooperate. I created a little heightmap in Wilbur and then tried to load it with the same program - but no luck ("unknown return code"). This is really weird...

Swedish Chef

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2005, 20:22:57 »
Heh, right after that I tried again and now Wilbur did load one of my bitmaps. If it keeps doing that I should be a happy camper...