Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How Do The Flags Work?  (Read 1485 times)

Lean Bear

How Do The Flags Work?
« on: 12 Dec 2004, 21:02:29 »

I'm sure y'all know about the BIS flags in OFP (mainly used in CTF MP missions). But, does anyone know how they blow in the wind?
Also, what do they have to be classed as and does this affect whether it blows or not?

I've de-PBOed the models: "flag_vojak.p3d" and "flag_AUTO.p3d" but can't find anything from that - except the selections which must have something to do with it.

Does anyone know what the name for the anim file is that does the blowing thing?

DeadMeatXM2

Re:How Do The Flags Work?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2004, 23:21:01 »
its hardcoded into the game engine, cant change it.

Lean Bear

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2004, 09:02:36 »
But surely like all OFP models, they can be extracted and edited?

For example, the fire and water animations are hardcoded into the game engine, but these are editable.

As are all the animations, so why not the flags?
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2004, 18:47:29 by Lean Bear »

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2004, 10:02:18 »
The flag animation is not handled by an rtm animation.

The game's physics engine manipulates any object with the flag named selections and flag properties in the same way (it makes it flap and billow when stationary, and it makes it flutter in the correct direction when moving) and is part of the actual game code.

Also, the fire and water animations are not technically animations, they are simply a set of textures which get displayed one after the other on a single-faced model (the cl_ range)
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2004, 10:03:29 by DeadMeat »

Lean Bear

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2004, 13:00:19 »
OK, but surely there is a simple way to apply this section of the game's engine to other flags?

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2004, 21:18:50 »
don't now if i understand your question right,... handling flags in ofp seems a bit restricted. e.g. i tried flipping the proxy of the flag carrier around so that the flag hangs down from a horizontal bar... doesn't work. so if you leave the proxy unedited, you can use the flag everywhere. i remember a guy using only the proxy, configing it as a flag carrier and appling some grass texture on it to make it wave in the wind. he wrote it worked but with enormous lag.
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

Lean Bear

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2004, 18:49:06 »
OK, here's a more specific question.

Say, hypothetically, I am making a new addon, a flag.

But, I want it to be classed as a weapon. So how would I be able to do this?