Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Oxygen grid squares  (Read 1530 times)

Skaircro

Oxygen grid squares
« on: 27 Sep 2002, 20:56:20 »
From what I'm aware, one grid square in Oxygen is the equivalent of one metre squared,... right?

In which case I'm wondering if there is a way to increase the grid work area in oxygen, from the current 20m.sq?

I need to know if this is possible on the theory of making planes with wingspans >20metres.
With Oxygen as is, the plane wouldnt fit on the grid.

Eviscerator

Re:Oxygen grid squares
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2002, 21:20:31 »
er...this may be a very controversial and scary idea but....zoom out?

[try using the -+ keys on your numpad]

SFG

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2002, 21:24:18 »
No, he wants to know if you can make the grid bigger not the zoom.

Eviscerator

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2002, 22:17:18 »
well....cut the model in half scale that then copy paste and mirror and reverse

Skaircro

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2002, 20:11:33 »
I'm talking about making a model from scratch.

Lets say, for example, a 30m wingspan.
If I scale it down to the 20m grid, wont that mean that when it is imported into the game it will only have a wingspan of 20m instead of 30?

Or does O2 work in a way that if I modeled it in a lower scale then expanded it when it was finished,(i.e, so the tips of the wings are hanging off the end of the grid to get the correct scale), that it accounts for the wing tips and they wont just be "cut-off" when imported, just because they aren't on the grid.?

Offline ScouseJedi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2002, 22:45:30 »
I think Prospero is modelling an entire Aircraft Carrier so I think that the 20m grid is arbitary and will not cut the wings from your plane.
'The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.'
Albus Dumbledore

Offline PakoAry

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2002, 05:42:30 »
Salutations!

The grid is merely a reference. You can even turn it off and obtain the same result.

What I do when working from scratch, almost always over a background image, is to insert a reference of scale in my bg image.

Let's say I'd like to model a Han Class Submarine from scratch. I'd first obtain the 3 views for the sub (Jane's guides and mil magazines are good sources). After scanning them I'd use photoshop to make the images proportional (in scale, height of sub has the same number of pixels in side and front views). Then, a trick: to draw a rectangle the lengh of the sub, as a reference, below the views and crop the image to that size. Adjust image size to make O2 compatible (powers of 2).

What's all that for??? well, I know that the sub is 100m long and the reference image is exactly the sub size. I just stablish that for this modelling section, grid scale will be 1 sq= 10m. I hit A and make the selection 10 squares long with the correct aspect...

I even model that rectangle I've drew on the botton of the reference in order to make it easy to reposition the bg image... (just in case I do not conclude my model in one section, since O2 doesn't save the bg image)

When done, I just 3D scale my model 10x and that's it.

In a nut shell: adopt a grid scale that meets your necessity and scale your model when done.

hope it helps
té mais
Pako Ary

Skaircro

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2002, 16:45:59 »
Thanks PakoAry, that does help.

I thought it would be a bit silly if you were limited to the grid, but I wasnt sure if maybe it had to do with the "light" part, (of O2Light), as a type of restriction.

btw, Brsseb links to this place in his crate tutorial, http://www.suurland.com/  they have quite alot of line drawings good for background images (just in case you didnt know of this place).