Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Linear Animation  (Read 1127 times)

Linear Animation
« on: 29 Oct 2004, 23:00:49 »
Are there any animation types other than "rotation"

I want to make a "sliding" or "linear" animation but I can't find any way to do it!

Seems strange that you have to specify the rotation type if there is only one!!!

e.g.

class Animations
{
  class thingy
  {
      type = "rotation";
      animperiod = 1.7;
      selection ="thingy";
      axis = "thingAXIS";
      angle0 = 0;
      angle1= -0.046;
   };
};
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Lean Bear

Re:Linear Animation
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2004, 00:30:21 »
Hmmm, never really thought about it...

I think its possible (difficult though) to make "linear" animations using the "rotation" type of anim.

But I'll have a look-see for you, see what I can find ;)

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2004, 02:37:36 »
As long as it doesn't use rotation with an "AXIS" that's really far away so the "arc" is almost linear. I tried this method... with unbelievable, if not comical results.

The addon I'm working on includes a telescopic radio mast. The plan was to simply create a three sided cylinder mounted vertically. Name the top three vertices as "radio", and move them upwards.

Is it too much to ask?  ???
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2004, 03:41:05 by DeadActionMan »
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Lean Bear

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2004, 23:49:41 »
Unfortunately, yes, this is too much to ask for OFP's engine. So rotation is the only type of animation there is for building's etc.

And, yes, putting the axis really far away was what I had in mind.

And it does work. That's how the sliding doors etc. are done on choppers etc.

But it takes a lot of work and great percision. Especially since OFP sometimes reverses the rotation and makes it look really bad.

I'd recomend this tut by Brsseb on using the rotation type animation for doing straight anims.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2004, 23:51:04 by Lean Bear »