Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Using Real Islands  (Read 1266 times)

Jim666

Using Real Islands
« on: 22 Oct 2004, 17:40:31 »
Hey, how can i import an island shape and all the height etc, into Visitor2 or WRPTool? I read the manualfor WRPTool but didnt really understand that.

Thanks Jim

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
Re:Using Real Islands
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2004, 19:43:59 »
The specific details of processing real-world DEM data for importing into WRPtool is not discussed at length in the current released edition of the manual. There was a older well-done tutorial (dead link) by OFP-OJR, I believe the only detailed tutorial is Planck's hosted here in the Editor's Depot.

There are a number of nigglies to deal with when using DEM data, the sizing aspects, matching features from a topo map for road placement, and other compensations.

The next edition of the manual will cover it more in depth, but for the now, Planck's tut is a great place to start.

-edit-

third item here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?category=1_8

For WRPtool, when exporting just click "set to pixel" and ignore the parts about the precision for WRPedit.

If you have any questions, comments, or recommendations for the manual, post them here:

http://flashpoint.nekromantix.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=7

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2004, 19:48:34 by shinRaiden »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2004, 20:48:03 »
I actually have a copy of the Grens Tutorial  (OFP-OJR).

I edited it into a vanilla type html document, however I have it set to use my own choice of colours for text and background.

I will email it to whoever wants it as it is too big to post here.

(zipped size 282 Kb)

I just hope Gren doesn't mind too much   ::)

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2004, 23:11:13 »
I have a complete copy as well, however it needs a fair a mount of interpreting to be applicable to WRPtool. Secondly, there has been some significant changes in GIS data sources, I've had better luck finding SDTS formatted data than classic DEM material. Now that I got DSL I can do a bit more research and build a comprehensive tutorial on the backend process through Wilbur, and then folks can go from there.

Jim666

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2004, 14:45:06 »
Thanks guys, i'll check them out in a bit, Planck coudl you send me that file? Jimboob@gmail.com  ;)

Cheers.