Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Near Future units  (Read 1577 times)

Matt Walter

Near Future units
« on: 13 Sep 2004, 03:11:20 »
This is not Sci-Fi-- at lest in my opinion-- but I have two near future addon ideas. I only need to vehicles because the soldiers would be modern.

First: A Jet like troop transport. I heard that the Blackhawk is the fastest a helicopter is going to go, so I though of a way to have a faster transport. I was thinking of a jet like aircraft that flies as fast as a jet, but can go into heli mode (kinda like the osprey with out propellers) and move exactly like a chopper. It wouldn't look like something from a sci-fi movie because this is near future, as modern as possible. If it is made, there should be an attack version and a transport version. Each one well have a "jet mode" or "heli mode" you can choose from in the unit select screen. If you need more info, I can give it too you.

Second: I prefer the first idea more, but any of you seen Sergeant Bilko... the hover tank. Anyone wanna make that?

Also: Each unit should have a U.S. and a Russian version.  ;)

Coldfire

Re:Near Future units
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2004, 15:06:15 »
The problem with the "Jet-Heli" thing is that first you need to be able to make somthing like an V-22 Osprey, in short you need to be able to switch from plane-style flying to Helicopter-style flying. Look up any thread on the Osprey and you'll see the complications with that. Furthermore, A jet Osprey?  :-\ Small problem with the jet exhaust burning anyone underneath it...

And BTW, this is pretty much Sci-Fi... Near-future stuff would be things like Power-Armor or Rail Guns or Thermomtic Camo. Stuff that the US army is trying to develop. Hover Tanks? Do I Really have to point out that that's Sci-Fi?
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2004, 15:10:39 by Coldfire »

Matt Walter

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2004, 20:55:21 »
ok scrap the hover tanks... I don't want this locked.  ;)

Matt Walter

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2004, 21:06:50 »
\Furthermore, A jet Osprey?  :-\ Small problem with the jet exhaust burning anyone underneath it...\

Ah, what about the X-35 (F-35 now), It doesn't burn people underneath...at lest far as I know. How about instead of a "jet-heli", how about a real fast helicopter that resembles a jetish craft. You could have a very fast and normal speed option. I think that would rock.

Anyway, speaking of the F-35, anyone wanna make that?  ;)
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2004, 21:07:30 by Matt Walter »

Homefry31464

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2004, 21:13:58 »
No one is ever underneath the F-35.... is vector's it's thrust downward to help it slow its decent, until it touches down....

Coldfire

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2004, 21:37:25 »
Homefry's right, when have you ever seen somone near any jet VTOL or other similar aircraft when the engin is running? I you were going to do a Jet VTOL transport then anything underneath it when it was hovering would be fried. Either way, there's still the problem of making a aircraft that can both fly like a plane and hover like a helicopter in OFP. I'm still holding out for a V-22  ;D

One near-future idea you might like. Power-armor. Basically a strength-enahncing chassis that allows the wearer to carry very heavy loads... like heavy armor. Think a one-man 10-foot-tall walking tank and your on the right track. Before anyone screams "Sci-Fi" about that i'd like to point out that the US armed forces are working on the concept now. they already have prototypes.

Matt Walter

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2004, 00:51:48 »
I would love to see that made... have any screen shots of the idea... anyway, the harrier (tell me this doesn't burn people, because if it does, I will be very upset for two reasons: A) my knowledge of aircraft would have declined since a year of two ago. B) I have been wrong on this topic too much, I need to be right.

Anyway, although the harrier is not as fast as a jet, it is faster then a chopper. If that technology is combined with a transport, we are in for a good idea. We would need to incorporate the harrier style land and such.

bigdog632

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2004, 02:17:14 »
the harrier is a jet and can go around Mach 1(last i read)
it isnt designed for speed it is designed for multiple roles, interceptor i dont believe is one of them

and again as far as i know the exhause DOES burn since it is redirected jet exhaust
but i was army not marines so i dunno for sure

Matt Walter

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2004, 03:24:21 »
... but it is faster then a chopper...

rOk

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2004, 11:08:37 »
@ Matt

Maybe you should get yourself that dropship from Starship Troopers...or wait for the HALO mod with the pelican transport which behaves like you want.

...and the stuff you mentioned is all "medium" future, not near.
...oh and AFAIK the British Lynx helicopter holds the speed record (402 km/h) not Blackhawk.
...and jet exhaust does burn.
...you can also try doing it yourself...don't write back saying that you don't know, we all had to start somewhere-though this is the longest way but most rewarding at the end  ;)