Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: skinning units from old demo  (Read 1691 times)

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
skinning units from old demo
« on: 20 Sep 2002, 05:07:33 »
ok im new to oxygen and dont have any great knowledge of creating new models to put into oxygen so i was wondering if some of you great wizards of making addon units could help with a tutorial or something on makeing new textures and placeing them on the old demo models.  Getting the whole proxy thing down has been a challenge too.  At least this is a start for us newbies ive done the huge crate tutorial without any problems and got it in the game so im getting the hang of it just lack the experience..  any help appreciated

Urket

Re:skinning units from old demo
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2002, 10:03:29 »
I'd like to know how to put textures on demo models aswell...

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2002, 21:51:49 »
Some tips:

Extract the textures from the DEMO data.pbo (demo sometimes used different textures compared to the normal ofp) then look at the model in o2 to see which textures are used, redirect via o2 (edit the texture path in the faces window, right down at the bottom, so it points to your texture).

PS use ctrl double click on a texture in the texture window to see what surfaces it is applied to. You can also use the background to face feature to see how the texture is oriented.

SelectThis

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2002, 03:02:56 »
Thanks for the reply selectthis its appreciated and so is your work one problem i had when i opened a demo unit was that it said in the viewer that it could not open object data3d\ak_47_v58_proxy.p3d but it shows the unit in o2 light and in the viewer just gives me that error also i was wanting to add the pistol proxy that i received from bis called handgun.proxy does it just go in the data3d directory thanks all help appreciated.

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2002, 18:43:16 »
When you installed viewer it created a data and data3d folder at the same level as the buldozer.exe program. These are the folders that buldozer uses to load "data\" textures and proxy p3ds.

problem is that these foldres are not complete, ie they do not contain all the textures or p3ds that the real game has. So to use them in buldozer all you have to do is copy into the buldozer data (for textures) or data3d (for p3ds) folders.

SelectThis

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2002, 21:57:55 »
ok ive tried to copy the proxy files over from ofp to the data3d folder that viewer uses.  when i load the model from the demo it comes up in o2light but viewer gives me an error Warning: PreNLOD format in object data3d\ak_47_v58_proxy.p3d ive even tried to put the proxys from the demo in the data3d folder and it gives me the same error.

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2002, 02:58:56 »
xpack the proxy p3ds

SelectThis

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2002, 06:58:33 »
Thanks selectthis I thought i had tried to xpack that file before maybe it was one from the game and not the demo ;D
weird how it adds all that stuff to the unit a flag, rpg, ak47,binoculars are thoose just because of the added proxies as far as I can guess.  if i wanted to see the unit without all that stuff could i delete the proxies for thoose until im finished with changing textures on the unit. speaking of which I guess you just change the textures that the unit have assigned to them in paint shop pro after changing them to tga from texview.This will be the most interesting part and making pistols work oh well.