Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Island based on contour lines?  (Read 1476 times)

Lihamatti

Island based on contour lines?
« on: 01 May 2004, 16:33:57 »
How could I make an island based on contour lines from a real map? I don't have DEMs (or something) for the area I would like to create. I just have a map (paper) which I could scan to my computer and take the contour lines. What should I do with the contour lines, and with which programs to create a terrain for OFP? Thanks

Leone

Re:Island based on contour lines?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2004, 19:02:56 »
You could try adding height based colour to the pic, then use a program to import it into WRPEdit. Someone else should be able to give you more info, but it would certainly be possible.  :)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2004, 16:42:41 »
Look for a small prog XYZ or something (it's in snYpirs tutorial, a soldior 5 on wrpedit, I think)
You tell it what intervals the contors are (It might be colour, though) and it gives xyz data that'll import into WRPEdit
:)
- Ben

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2004, 11:18:28 »
Maps from contours is possible BUT it take a lot of patiance to get it right.  I ought to know as its how I have done ALL the Falklands maps.

BMP-XYZ is good (its mine!)  BUT when Visitor came out I found that I could save the files as tga's and use the tga-ase converter and take them straight into Visitor that way.

Either way the hard part is actaully scanning the map into the computer, then tracing the contours, then filling each contour level, then smoothing the whole thing out (this last part is the problem as you can lose defintation if you do the smoothing to the whole map.  I found I had to do the maps in sectinos to allow for the different elevation changes.

Not sure if the BMP-ZYX is hosted anywhere else so I will check to see if its still on my ftp, and get the link here if you need it.
CBF Shipbuilding

meio_maluco

« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2004, 19:33:30 »
Im having dificulties wit finding a nice resolution for scanning in orther that the lines dont get with more than 1 color.

If u could help me i would apreciate

Tomasz

« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2004, 20:12:29 »
Hey all,

is it possible then to create a map that is a true resemblance of the real thing? What are the biggest islands you can have? Do you think it is possible to make an "OFP island converter" whick would transform the real map into the OFP format ( ofcourse after defining what coulours are forests, roads buildings etc [ the buildings would be chosen randomly to suit the size on the map ] )

That way you could easily ( amatours too ) make Normandy maps :D, Ardennes, Poland from 1939, UK, Italy, Germany etc ;D, that would be a historic breakthrough!!!

cheers

Tomasz